Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Golf or Crew?!

Replies to: Golf or Crew?!

• MuselkMuselk Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Thank you everyone. I never expected so much feedback. @tonymom, @Sue22 @bluewater2015 @codemachine. I want to know more about the process of being recruited? Does it affect admission chances. For crew, do you have to compete in individual regattas or competing with the team is good enough? In golf, I am only in the middle of the bunch at big tournaments even though I shoot in the 70s most of the time. Most junior golfers have had 5 years of experience. I want to start crew early because I really want to be good when I am older. It is also much more convenient than golf because I don't have to arrange coaches on my own. Btw, what is a good 500m split time for an eighth grader?
  • codemachinecodemachine Registered User Posts: 465 Member
    If you want to play Ivy golf, you have to put your blood, sweat, and tears into it. If you're good enough and the school wants you badly enough, it can definitely have an effect on admission chances. But you're competing with kids at prep schools, etc. You should have grades to back it up, too.
    @codemachine , I do go to a prep school. What do you think is better, golf or crew? Thanks again
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 993 Member
    @Muselk
    The question is really what do you feel passionate about? I know that's a difficult question at your age but what really moves you? It's that passion for a sport that will support you through the long hours of practice and challenges you will undoubtedly face....
  • GrudeMonkGrudeMonk Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    @Muselk
    Please listen to @tonymom above. Schools are not looking for individuals that do what the schools want, they want individuals who excel at what they want to do.

Remember there is no better in golf and crew - there is only do. Ok bad joke, but there really is no right answer to your question. It all depends on you. You sound mature to me and I believe you are on the right track. Pick the sport you want to compete in and don't look back. If you find you aren't passionate about it after all, then look for the next thing. Good luck!
    Thanks guys. @GrudeMonk @tonymom @codemachine. If I plan to pursue crew, what tips do you guys have for me? Please tell me more about how much I should practice and a good 2km time. If I plan to pursue golf, please give me some pointers too. What tournaments should I play in and how should I contact the coaches.
  • codemachinecodemachine Registered User Posts: 465 Member
    Tournaments are something you have to speak to your golf coach about, but you can look up recruiting info on athletic websites of schools you're interested in. Technically, they can't begin a dialogue until your junior year, but it doesn't hurt to fill out a few forms now to be on the record.
  • classicalmamaclassicalmama Registered User Posts: 2,261 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    A lot of success in rowing comes down to factors you can't control.

Your height: As @Sue22, pointed out, For HYP, 6' 2" HWT guys can be the shortest on the team. :-) I also agree with her that at your age, the only way to estimate where you'll be as a junior in high school is to look at your parents, and even that is just an estimate. my 6'5" son was 5'6" as an 8th grader. His brother was closer to 6' in 8th grade but didn't gain as much height overall. The college rosters are a good point of reference, but keep in mind that the include walk-ons as well as recruits, and my knowledge of one team tells me that the guys under 6'3" are more likely to be the former.

Your 2k erg time: You can speed up on the erg through hard work, but after a point it comes down to body mechanics and height/weight proportions. By end of junior year, somewhere close to 6:20 will generate real HYP HWT interest--right now--those times keep getting faster. For LWT and other Ivies , you would not need to be that quick. Here are the U.S. Rowing Standards--useful because they are by birthdate, so you can set a realistic goal for yourself. http://usrowingjrs.org/usj/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/JM-2016-Standards-by-Age.pdf

My wish for you would be to keep going with golf and rowing. You're young enough that for another year at least, it seems like you could do one in the spring and one in the summer to help you figure out which best suits you. Rowing may be the only sport that you can come to late (provided you're a good athlete). And since 2k counts more than team results, another possibility might be to golf competitively and erg on your own and see how your erg times look.
    Thank you, @classicalmama . That helped a ton.
    @Muselk
    Was discussing your situation with my son (he's rowed all four years in HS and will be rowing for Yale this fall) and he said to tell you to choose which sport you love! That because rowing is so demanding you must love it to survive it. So try it out at a one of the many summer programs offered by club teams and see if it resonates. Don't look at it as a vehicle into a school, otherwise you may find yourself in a tough spot. You'll know pretty quickly if it's the sport for you!
    Good luck, breathe and enjoy your youth :-)
    Thank you @tonymom. I just went out for a tank session today and it wasn't that bad physically but the coordination was hard.
    edited January 2016
    You'll get the hang of it! Rowing in tanks and Erging can't compare to being on the water. Hope you are somewhere where winter doesn't limit your water time.
    Hi everyone. @tonymom @classicalmama @codemachine @twoinanddone @Sue22 @fenwaypark @varska I am recently accepted at Phillips Academy Andover. At Andover, rowing and golf are in the same season and I can only choose one. The golf and crew season is already starting and my school crew team is going on the water tomorrow. Please provide any insight available. Thanks you!
  • 8bagels8bagels Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    edited March 2016
    2k erg time?

What's your current JGS ranking?
This discussion has been closed.