Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Gpa ivy league freshman year

Cek1313Cek1313 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I play AAA tier 1 ice hockey on a team ranked top 3 in the country and Im even on the first line. So I am definitely looking to get a scholarship and I actually have a good chance... and my gpa is 3.6. I am a freshman, so I was wondering if it's still possible for me to get a scholarship to any ivy league school. I will get my gpa up but will this affect them to say no? Can my gpa stay the same? Very worried...

Replies to: Gpa ivy league freshman year

• 8bagels8bagels Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    It will be impossible for you to get a scholarship at any Ivy league school, regardless of your GPA.
  • Cek1313Cek1313 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Sorry I realize I cant get a scholarship but just getting in?
  • nhparent9nhparent9 Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    No such thing as athletic scholarships in the Ivy.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,855 Senior Member
    As a parent, my advice is -- you should not be worrying about college scholarships in 9th grade. It's great that you are excelling in your sport now, and doing well in class. Keep up the hard work. If you are playing on that competitive a hockey team, your coaches or club would likely have resources and info about recruiting, so consider getting basic schedule and structure info about hockey recruiting. Often, different sports have different timelines and procedures so hockey is different from basketball which is different from soccer.

Ivy league schools, as a matter of the Ivy sports conference policy, do not give athletic scholarships. Ivies only give financial aid. Same is true with the NESCAC schools, Amherst, Williams etc.

• varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,429 Senior Member
    If you are a high level, D1 caliber hockey player and do very well on your standardized tests, A 3.6 uw GPA would probably not stand in the way of being recruited at an Ivy.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,111 Senior Member
    Many of the college hockey players spend a year playing junior pro or a year in prep school hockey. They tend to be a little older than the average college freshmen. Don't rule anything out. Study hard and play hard.
    There's 3 components: GPA, ACT/SAT and your athletic skills.

The answer is, you want all 3 to be the best they can be.

A 3.6 unweighted won't keep you out. But it's borderline and you have a long way to go. School is only going to get harder, freshman year is the easiest, sophomore and esp. Jr. year will be much, much tougher as you take some weighted Honors and AP classes.

Also, the lower your GPA is, the higher your SAT/ACT needs to be.

Good luck! Keep working hard on your sport and academic numbers.

@twoinanddone brings up a good point - a year or two playing Juniors after HS graduation seems to be the norm for hockey. You look at the roster for the 2013 Yale D1 NCAA National Hockey Champions (ahem @8bagels :)), you'll see a lot of kids with USHL experience.
    I guess a double )) creates an obnoxious laughing face - not intended, but can't edit
  • ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 1,221 Senior Member
    Yes, the Ivies recruit. Yes, they will lower their admission standards quite a bit to take an athlete they want.

But you still need to be a very good student and an extremely good athlete.
    @varska - I'm from the west, we know nothing about ice, hockey, or ice hockey!

(Seriously, my kids are both high school athletes, neither knows anyone who plays hockey).
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,111 Senior Member
    And yet ASU is joining D1 hockey next year, Denver University and Colorado College have strong programs, all the Dakota schools (some from the east coast consider anything west of Ohio to be 'out west'). A student at my daughters' high school in Southern Cal went to play Junior pro after graduation, one of only 6 students who didn't list a college in the graduation program, the other 5 went on missions. The high school did have an ice hockey team, as did several others in the league. The LA area has two teams, the Kings and the Ducks, and that's more than most metro areas have.

• tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 994 Member
    Again the sport matters. One of my son's team mates (who has stellar GPA) but was low 30s for ACT had trouble being recruited to HYP but got recruited to an "easier" Ivy although I doubt any of them are easier...
    But the coaches at HYP were pretty clear that he needed a higher ACT or SAT to get a LL. He is also a extremely accomplished athlete so I don't think the Ivys lower their academic standards if they really want an athlete. My sense is there is only the wiggle room within the AI of the school.
  • VanOschVanOsch Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Yes do most certainly do. Relative to the requirements of the average incoming student body, the athlete requirement are much lower, yes even at HYPs. And Cornell will take anyone as long as they are stellar in the sport. At my Ds school, girls get recruited as freshman for hockey - but then they are repeats, so not really freshman. And as any HYPs person will tell you, Cornell isn't really Ivy. I believe at Princeton, they have a "dress like State U" day, and besides the usual suspect like Rutgers clothing, lots of kids are sporting Cornell gear.
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 994 Member
    ^^^ well I'm certainly glad my son isn't going to Princeton then....sounds like a bunch of snobs if they have a "dress like a State U day"...very telling....
    Unless I'm not getting the gest of its intent?
This discussion has been closed.