Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Post Commitment

2»

Replies to: Post Commitment

• shuttlebusshuttlebus Registered User Posts: 438 Member
    As soon as my son verbally committed, he contacted all of the other coaches by phone immediately to let them know of his decision. He also told the other coaches where he had committed. During one of the phone calls, Coach X asked my son if he had notified Coach Y, yet. As other have said, the recruiting world is very small.
  • bayfront2bayfront2 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Question; My son ED1 D3 school, coach called him his top recruit, did a workshop with him over the summer and is
    psyched that my son verbally committed to him; but does that mean he's in? What wording would a kid ask a coach about him getting in? I don't want him to tell other coaches he's verbally committed, if he can't get in. He has the full support of the coach but does that mean anything?
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    @bayfront2 Most schools are very careful about saying that only Admissions does admissions, that coach can only convey past experience of similarly-situated kids.

The kinds of questions relate to the process so far -- did you get a pre-read though Admissions office, and was it positive/green light? Did the coach say anything about what else student should do to be well-positioned for acceptance? Coaches often come back from pre-read saying student should try to get scores up to a certain range etc. Asking about how many/what percentage of athletes with your student's gpa/record and coach support were rejected or deferred can also be helpful.

The impact of coach support seems to vary by sport and school. At one very selective school, my kid was told a minimum (very high) test score that was needed for acceptance -- from the conversation, it was apparent that recruits didn't get a bump and needed to be admitted on their own record, with a feather on the scale for their athletic contribution as a recruit. At other, equally selective and highly competitive school, the test score required as a recruit was significantly lower, presumably because the coach had the administration's support in fielding a more competitive team and could dip deeper into the pool to get the desired recruits. So, it is very difficult to generalize across schools.

Bottom line seems to be, Admissions office makes the decision, and so the best bet is to have a conversation with coach about the process and be clear on where your student stands. Good luck -- the fall before ED decisons come out can be very stressful for D3 recruits.
  • fleishmo6fleishmo6 Registered User Posts: 574 Member
    @bayfront2
    The recommendations for the OP are the same for you. By applying ED1 your son committed to that school. Unfortunately, as mentioned above it is not a 100% done deal as coach does not have final say and you will have to wait until early December to get the result. Your son should email the other coaches , let them know that he applied ED elsewhere but if things do not work out could he contact them again. Keep the door open just in case.
    best of luck
  • AsleepAtTheWheelAsleepAtTheWheel Registered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    @bayfront2 -- The two notes immediately above have lots of accurate and valuable info.
    Has you son already applied ED? I couldn't really tell from your note. If he has applied, then he should proceed as recommended above. If he's not yet applied (after all, most ED apps aren't due for a while) then he needs to have a more explicit conversation with the coach. If that's the case, post that here and you'll get some more good advice.
  • tenniswimvballtenniswimvball Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that if you have targeted your schools well, your daughter will most likely be seeing all these other coaches during the season (think NESCAC, etc.) Even though our D1 contacted all coaches within a day or so of verbally committing, she still suffered hostility from some of the coaches that were recruiting her when she encountered them during the season. By doing the right thing, she knew it wasn't due to anything she did. Helped reinforce her notion that she made the right decision.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 43,812 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    For future reference, this is @finalthree 's thread; s/he asked the question, so the answers should be targeted to the original post. If a poster other than the OP asks a question not related to the OP's question, that called hijacking, and is rude to the OP. It's better to start a new discussion if you have your own question.
  • fleishmo6fleishmo6 Registered User Posts: 574 Member
    @Finalthree
    Congrats on the decision. Most of all good luck to your daughter.
This discussion has been closed.