right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Pamona College Swim

Ted45211Ted45211 13 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22 New Member
Does Pamona offer likely letters? Can swim coaches support a recruited athlete?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Pamona College Swim

• jym626jym626 54615 replies2834 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,449 Senior Member
    You mean Pomona?
    · Reply · Share
  • Ted45211Ted45211 13 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Yes.. sorry!
    · Reply · Share
  • AsleepAtTheWheelAsleepAtTheWheel 1231 replies45 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    @Ted45211 -- sent you a PM about Pomona swimming.

Also, repeat after me: D3 schools do NOT offer likely letters.
    (U Chicago has been mentioned as the only exception, but I'm still not sure of that).
    · Reply · Share
  • CallieMomCallieMom 152 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    @Ted45211 , Pomona does not offer Likely Letters. Coach Goudy, though, is experienced with pre-reads and knowing if your daughter's times and events will be a match for the team. Last year, Pomona changed their admissions policy for "recruited" athletes, and their recruiting practices are now closer to NESCAC schools. That is to say, the coach will have a limited number of slots for his preferred swimmers.
    After her visits, she should be clear what school she really feels most comfortable at. Then she can follow @AsleepAtTheWheel 's prior advice regarding having her have a conversation with the coach about a spot on the team. If your daughter is clear where she wants to go to school, and the coach wants her, and the pre-read is great, there should be very high probability for an ED1 acceptance.
    Best of luck, and how exciting!
    · Reply · Share
  • GoNatsGoNats 16 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Coach Gowdy used the words "likely letter" with my DS last year at a face-to-face visit (I heard it myself). He's a national level swimmer and would be a top D3 recruit. We were quite surprised. As Asleap indicates, likely letters are traditionally an Ivy League deal, but this seems to be changing.
    · Reply · Share
  • AsleepAtTheWheelAsleepAtTheWheel 1231 replies45 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    Our experience with Coach Gowdy is that his communications were crystal clear. Likely letter or no likely letter (and I'm strongly betting that there are no likely letters) a recruit who is interested in Pomona and has the academics to get through the pre-read will know exactly where he/she stands.
    · Reply · Share
  • Ted45211Ted45211 13 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22 New Member
    My D attended the first of the two OVs. She loved it! Should she let coach know her interests in applying ED (and getting a confirmation of support again from coach) right away or she should wait until both OVs are over?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity