Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Daughter Red-Shirted, Miserable

anyonebuthillaryanyonebuthillary Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
My daughter transferred this year, as a junior, from a community college to a D1 2000 miles away, on a softball scholarship. She found out, after two weeks of school, that she is "academically ineligible" to participate, however, and must red-shirt this year, because her GPA at the JUCO ended up being 2.48, and not the required 2.5. She is miserable there, and it has gotten much worse with this recent development. She had other substantial offers, and took this one because it offered the most, but had she known she would have to red-shirt, she never would have taken it. It is my understanding that she HAS to stay there, at least for one year, or else be liable for the scholarship amount, and that, most likely if she leaves, she will not be able to play anywhere else, at least for a year. Can she, however, transfer after a year, as a senior, to a local college, and give up softball? Is this possible? Is it ethical? What, if any, are the ramifications?

Replies to: Daughter Red-Shirted, Miserable

• siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Registered User Posts: 4,461 Senior Member
    If she holds on for this year, isn't she going to be able to play as expected senior year? Why would she want to transfer again at that point?
  • anyonebuthillaryanyonebuthillary Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    She was already having serious regrets about going so far away, now not playing for a year is making it harder, and less likely that she will bond much with her teammates. She may have to suck it up for two years. She also feels guilty, taking scholarship money that someone else could have, while she's not contributing.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,825 Senior Member
    I doubt she'd be 'liable' for the scholarship if she left now (she might be liable for tuition if she withdraws from school, it would depend on the school's rules for leaving, timing, etc). The coach may be able to withhold the scholarship from spring semester.

There is no problem with transferring to another college if she is not playing for senior year, but the question will be if she can get enough credits, in the correct classes to qualify for graduation after just one year. One daughter is at a school that requires something like 30 upper division credits to be taken at the school for graduation (and a particular major may have more), so even if a student has taken all the lower level prereqs, it's still a tight fit to only have one year at that school. I think your daughter should look at transferring for the spring if she's sure she really doesn't want to play anymore.

• lubbublubbub Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    Hate to be tough on her but she would have had to redshirt at any of those other schools also if her JUCO GPA was under 2.5. So the problem isn't the school but its her lack of work in the classroom. Coaches bring in JUCOs to play immediately so I imagine her coach is just as upset (or more) as is she.

She can withdraw from school and most likely owe them nothing. She can transfer down from D1 next year and play. Or she can work on getting her grades up this year and be ready to contribute next. Many kids struggle and a miserable for a few weeks when going a long way off to school, my son was. But after a couple of months it was home and he wouldn't have considered transferring.
This discussion has been closed.