Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Recruiting timeline - differences by sport

13»

Replies to: Recruiting timeline - differences by sport

• tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 1,172 Senior Member
    And men's collegiate rowing is a "labor of love" as there really isn't any scholarship $$$ attached to it....not like women's rowing at least....
  • bluewater2015bluewater2015 Registered User Posts: 564 Member
    On the other hand, men's rowing was the very first intercollegiate sport - if I recall correctly, Harvard vs. Yale in the mid 1800s. :)
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 1,172 Senior Member
    @bluewater2015
    You are correct! I believe 1846. A long and, as demonstrated by the last Yale-Harvard showdown, hotly contested rivalry.
    I'd still say as far as scholarships go, rowing is a better collegiate sport for women. There have been tremendous gains made there. Just look at our Rio Ladies who took Gold!
  • bluewater2015bluewater2015 Registered User Posts: 564 Member
    Oh yes, and that's true for a lot of sports - more scholarships for women to counterbalance football for Title IX. Also I believe a factor in the declining number of college wrestling programs.

Beyond that, one thing that's interesting to me about women's rowing is that I've seen some women get admissions preference and/or scholarships with little high school experience in the sport . . . it seems like the demand for tall, strong and athletic women who aren't already tracked into basketball, volleyball etc. may exceed the supply.
  • AsleepAtTheWheelAsleepAtTheWheel Registered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    Over thirty years ago I received a letter in April of my senior year of high school from the Harvard crew team coach. The letter stated that although I had no rowing expreience, the coach noted that I was 6'3" and had participated in other high school sports, and he thought I should give the Harvard crew team a shot.

The only problem? Earlier, in March, I'd received a letter from Harvard Admissions informing me that I'd been rejected. The letter from the crew coach added a bit of insult to injury.
This discussion has been closed.