right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Major issue with my college football coaches..

ajanderson32ajanderson32 4 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13 New Member
I attend a division 3 school in Texas. I play football here, and a freshmen. I have became friends with a lot of the upperclassmen football players. All and all, my experience here has just been meh.. Campus is dead on the weekends and tons of people go home. (There's a good amount of commuters). I'm just going through the motions and stay in my dorm alone on the weekends... Anyway, here is the issue.

I am a freshmen, so I don't travel with the team for road games. I heard from some upperclassmen that lots of the players went out past curfew at the hotel the night before the game, and then went into the stairwell of the really nice hotel they stayed at and smoked tons of weed in the stairwell. Some coaches caught them, and did nothing about it. I'm not sure if it was because they are key players or what. But they now that their players are not only getting high less than 24 hours before a game, but doing so even on road games. They are doing nothing about it. Apparalently, they don't want to drug test because they know hear athletes won't be able to play. Rumor has it that out head coach is resigning after this year too. I don't know what to do... I think it's wrong to not take action when you catch your players getting high right in front of you, in a hotel even. Especially right before a game!!! I'm shocked, lost and confused. Along with my feelings of the school, i do not know what is best for me. I need some help...
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Major issue with my college football coaches..

• mamommamom 3642 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,666 Senior Member
    I am surprised you are not upset with the athletes, only the coaches.
    · Reply · Share
  • sanmlnsanmln 63 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    ajanderson32, I don't blame you for feeling shocked/lost/confused. I'd feel the same way. I guess the thing to do here is consider the question that is the most important when picking a school to play a sport at to begin with--would you want to attend this school without being on the football team? And that's a question that might be hard to answer until you've been through a full year of classes, maybe make some more friends outside the team, etc. Maybe this school isn't a good fit for you, football or not, but you need to give it a little more time.

As far as the mj at the hotel/no consequences goes, now you know how the coaches and some of your teammates operate. Do you have team rules in place about drug and alcohol use, especially during season? If there are written rules that everyone is supposed to be following and these people don't seem to care, then you'd also have to decide how comfortable you'd be staying on this team.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1427 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,452 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    You have just learned the quality of your football program, the quality of your teammates and the quality of your coaches. Is this a program you really want to be a part of? First, you must factor into the equation that this is Division three. Fun, for sure but there is not a future in athletics. (not trying to be harsh....just the way it is). Would you be at this college if it wasn't for football? If so, focus on the rest of your experience. If not, you might want to move on. And then there is the moral dilemma of gong to the Athletic Director and Dean and reporting what you know. That is probably the toughest part of your decision. But I get it....my sons say, "snitches get stitches." And if you didn't see the offenses first hand, it is just hearsay. Good luck.
    edited September 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • ajanderson32ajanderson32 4 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Im surprised with both for sure.. just more surprised that our coaches who encourage us to be men and have character don't act or stand by the principles they advocate.. thank you for the reply
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1427 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,452 Senior Member
    Its is so disappointing that your coaches have shown their lack of integrity. As a parent I must say that I've seen it in everything from sports, to scouts, to band to neighbors!!! Sad but true. All you can do is surround yourself with the best and "grow up" to be different. I bet you'll coach youth sports (or higher) one day and vow to do it with integrity!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity