Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can I play college baseball if only 1 year of hs experience

QBurnsQBurns Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I played my freshman year of baseball on jv in hs and I was a good pitcher and I was more than likely going to make varsity the next year but I was going through a rough patch in my life and doing bad in school so I quit. Also my coaches were **** and I didn't like the way they coached and they ruined the sport for me. I knew it was gonna be the same on varsity and I couldn't do it. I was doing just fine all throughout hs without baseball but now I want to get back into it next year as a college freshman. I'm not saying that I'm gonna go play for some big university but I was just going to go try out at a community college. So I was just wondering if I practiced and what not if I could still be able to play again.

Replies to: Can I play college baseball if only 1 year of hs experience

• blackkitteycatblackkitteycat Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    If youre going to play at a community college, yes.

If you want to get recruited at a university, no, probably not.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 2,293 Senior Member
    Yes, you can. But start strength and conditioning training immediately and look for a local team to play or practice with, if one exists near. Otherwise, hit the batting cages and practice fielding your position.
  • 10s4life10s4life Forum Champion UCLA Posts: 1,524 Forum Champion
    Community college athletics range from worse than high school to wow these guys are gonna get picked up by D1 schools after transferring. If you start practicing and getting in shape you can certainly try out. If you want to play NCAA and get recruited then that's an avenue that probably won't happen with only 1 year. Most kids that get recruited played travel ball for years before high school. And in high school are on teams that perform really well beyond local competition.
  • nhparent9nhparent9 Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    edited May 2017
    10s4life is correct - there is a wide array of team quality at the community college level.

That said, what is it about baseball that makes people think they can just play at the next level? I don't see that posted in other sports. Just for reference, when considering all levels of college baseball - D1, D2, D3, Juco, NAIA, everything - less that 8% of high school players play in college. Under the assumption that some kids who are good enough to play choose not to, or perhaps play another sport in college, maybe 10 or 12% of high school kids, who actually played high school baseball, are good enough to play at ANY level of college baseball.

There are plenty of difficult high school baseball coaches out there - I've seen them too. However, you haven't seen anything until you're playing for a guy whose livelihood is dependent on winning. College coaches primarily coach as their only job. They need to win to keep their jobs. Most take that reality pretty seriously.

Not trying to talk the OP out of taking his shot, but he needs to do it with the reality of what he's proposing in plain view.
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    Doesn't hurt to try out.

Pitching is the one position where you can get around a lack of experience such as yours. Just tickle the radar gun around 83-5 mph, tell the coach your story(which will make him think he can get you up in the high 80's with practice). If helps if you are 6'3" or bigger # "projectable". If you are a LHP, even more so. You don't need to be able to hit, and if you have the velocity then the coach will teach you how to field your position.

If you are 5'9" RHP throwing 74-76 mph then don't expect a lot of encouragement from any level of college BB. BTW, some academically nondescript colleges have really good baseball, and can be feeders for D1 schools.

There are many levels of HS baseball. If you are good enough to be on a Varsity team as a Sophomore on a school with, say, 800 kids per grade then you are probably talented. If, however, you are in a small school that barely gets enough out to play on the team(many private schools are like this, also), and maybe has 120 kids per grade then it isn't quite the same thing.

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,595 Senior Member
    And what about summer ball? Legion?
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 1,133 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    Yes! Believe in yourself and try out! Play for the love of the game and let it show to your coaches and teammates! A CC or Division 3 school is often looking for fresh talent and talent that isn't burned out from the overtraining, drama, stress, and pressure of youth and high school sports. Many times pre-college sports has become more like a job to kids that they suffer from injuries and burnout. Above all, be coachable. That counts for a lot. Good luck! Don't forget that the first season you might get a lot of play time but keep working and I bet you will get there.
This discussion has been closed.