Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ivy Sports - recruitment process advice

13»

Replies to: Ivy Sports - recruitment process advice

• moscottmoscott Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    @tonymom Which is what I understand also but I did also hear that some Ivy schools will give a very high FA package to get a kid in the school but then turn around and drop significantly the FA afterwards. I have no idea how true that is or not.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,425 Forum Champion
    ^what @tonymom said. We were told that unless our income changed by more than 10% in a given year, our son's financial aid would remain the same. So far that has proven true, and I have not heard of anyone who has suffered a "bait and switch" where financial aid is good in year one and then decreases. If you stop and think about it, even the "poorest" of the Ivys have multiple billion dollar endowments, and it is hard to imagine the reasoning behind trying to cut financial aid of any class of students in the out years to save what can't be more than a few hundred grand at the most.

Really, the Ivy financial aid system is akin to the way things ran in P5 conferences prior to the four year scholarship rule, and the way they work in the rest of D1 now. Each year you reapply for financial aid/resign your scholarship papers. In the vast majority of cases this is a formality.

And @twoinandone is correct, even with the four year model in the P5, there are ways of freeing up scholarships. Lots of bottom of the depth chart guys find that nagging injuries all of a sudden mean they are incapable of playing any more and they get "medicalled", kept on scholarship but not rostered, and therefore not a counter. Another time honored way to free up spots is with the first post springball depth chart. If you are an upperclassman and all of a sudden you find that you have dropped below the freshmen on the depth chart, then that is a not subtle hint that you aren't in the coaches' plans and should maybe seek opportunities elsewhere. And of course there is the coach's decision (usually made right after signing day) whether to offer a fifth year to players who have some eligibility left because of injury or redshirt.
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 1,142 Senior Member
    @moscott
    That's not been our experience and I haven't heard that from anyone else. Additionally most ivies will match each other if they really want an athlete. We had a very good package from one of the big endowment schools and a "lesser" Ivy wanted my son. They quickly matched the FA package so that $$$ would not be an issue in his decision between schools. I asked their FA department if this match was only good for one year or would it continue throughout his years and they assured me it would. I suppose they could have not been truthful but as @Ohiodad51 points out it would eventually work against them. Reputation is everything and people talk within athletic communities...
  • justverycuriousjustverycurious Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    For an Ivy recruit, if one passes the academic preread that's done during the summer, for a niche non revenue sport, does anyone know how much detrimental effect will a lackluster application in terms of essay and letters of recommendation have on admission? Such as for Harvard and/or Princeton, will the coach's influence have a big enough impact to overcome a "boring" application (but with a solid AI score, and top athlete in terms of national ranking)?
    @justverycurious
    Not sure what you mean by "lackluster"?
    Your essay and short answers are what? Not up to par? Your EC are lacking?
    If you passed academic pre-read then your academic stats are fine but I wouldn't submit a subpar essay or a sloppy application. Even if you are a star athlete that would signal to AO that you can't be bothered with small details.
    More info about what you are gettting at is needed.
  • HMom16HMom16 Registered User Posts: 613 Member
    Ivy schools give need based financial aid. The aid is generally the same each year unless the family's economic status changes. Ivies don't give academic or athletic scholarships.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,425 Forum Champion
    does anyone know how much detrimental effect will a lackluster application in terms of essay and letters of recommendation have on admission?

I would say that it could be significant, depending on what makes the essays and recommendations "lackluster". Recommendations that are basically "good kid, studies hard, doesn't cause any problems" is probably one thing. Recommendation letters that disclose a lack of studiousness or contain a whiff of academic miconduct, likely something else.

At the end of the day, no one can tell you for sure, but I can relate that the consistent advice given to my son by his recruiting coaches was not to blow off his essays and take the application seriously. I think the admissions departments in all of the Ivys, and maybe most particularly HYP, think of granting likely letters as a boon, and they do not want to see potential students treat the process less than seriously.
  • politepersonpoliteperson Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    @tonymom re: #33--can you explain how that matching worked--were you comparing financial pre-reads prior to making an ED commitment, or did this happen later? Not trying to derail the thread, but that's very useful info.
    @politeperson it was during the process prior to both OV. It's pretty standard fare. Coaches understand families need this info going into the process and shouldn't hold back before decision making begins. If they do I'd wonder about their motives/stance.
    We asked for financial aid pre reads at the same time the schools were doing the July academic pre reads. If I recollect, these took approximately two weeks. All schools agreed to match financial aid offered by any other Ivy showing real recruiting interest. What each school wanted in order to demonstrate real recruiting interest varied from school to school. Some wanted the actual pre read from the more generous school, some wanted personalized e mails or notes, some didn't care. But @tonymom is correct, and financial aid matching is pretty common among athletes being recruited by multiple schools. While I also would wonder about the motives of a school that won't provide a financial aid pre read, I have heard anecdotally that the most generous of the Ivys, specifically H and P, are at times reticent to provide financial pre reads because they don't want their pre reads just being used as leverage at other schools.
  • politepersonpoliteperson Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    @tonymom @Ohiodad51 very helpful info, thanks!
  • TanbikoTanbiko Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    Lesser Ivies can issue "Harvard read" based on the proof of being recruited by Harvard, without the the copy of the actual pre-read. Save all your recruiting communications.
13»
This discussion has been closed.