Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which One Should I Choose?

indecisive972indecisive972 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited July 2017 in Athletic Recruits
Hello, I'm deciding between Duke, Rice, UCLA, and USC. Full athletic scholarship to all. How would you rank the four? I would like to go the Pre-Med route. Does it really matter where you attend undergrad when applying to med school, or does GPA, MCAT, EC's, etc, have more weight? (Not sure if it matters but at UCLA athletes get first pick of classes so getting into a certain class shouldn't be a problem if I qualify for it.)

Replies to: Which One Should I Choose?

• CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 2,827 Senior Member
    Asking that question here is likely to start a feeding frenzy from all the alums of the schools you mention. Each extolling the virtues of their particular college. I would just take the college visits they have offered you or will offer you and decide. All are very good schools.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,725 Senior Member
    Where you study won't matter for med school. What will matter are your GPA, your MCAT score, your letters of recommendation, and your job shadowing/medical related volunteer work. Usually the advice is to choose the place where you are likely to get the best combination of low price and good grades.

Have a nice long discussion with the coach, athletic department, and pre-med advisor at each place. How many of their scholarship athletes are pre-med? How many of those get the grades etc. that they need? What do they major in? How many actually do get into med school?
  • ConcernedRabbitConcernedRabbit Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    Go to DUKE!!! I went there for a summer program, and it's the most amazing place ever. It looks like hogwarts! And their library is to die for!

Rice is also nice. But goooooo DUKE!!!!!!!!
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    Do your due diligence -- talk with pre-med advising at each school, and the coach, to find out about how many athletes in your sport apply and are accepted to med school, how does your coach manage labs etc. D1 full scholarship athlete plus pre med is a steep climb for anyone. Identify where you can have the most flexibility and support.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 11,774 Senior Member
    Honestly, I would ask the question in the "Athletic Recruits" subforum under "Specialty College Admissions Topics".

• Luska19Luska19 Registered User Posts: 249 Junior Member
    Well all 4 are great academic schools so then the question in my mind would be which is best for my sport?
  • indecisive972indecisive972 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 2017
    Thank you all. I will post my question under the subform.
  • sunnypremedsunnypremed Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm partial to USC because I go there, but I can tell you that as a premed the opportunities are amazing. Definitely check out the Health Care Studies minor through the medical school!
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 501 Member
    I would also ask on pre-med board. The prevailing wisdom seems to be that California schools are very tough on pre-meds. Lots of weeding out classes. And at the schools on your list the kids getting weeded out are probably pretty talented, and maybe not balancing academics with athletic practice and competition.

Also I would ask the coaches and look at the current roster. Depending on your sport, some coaches may not be supportive of you taking that many lab classes. If there are very few pre-meds on your team currently, that's probably your answer.

All are great schools, no bad choice there. You just need to find the one best for your long term goals.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,216 Senior Member
    You might ask if your scholarship can be used in the summer too. Most students like to take a lighter load in the competition semester, and make up the credits in the summer. My daughter would have liked to do that, but didn't have a scholarship for the summer so takes a heavy fall semester so that she can take a light spring one.

• LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    What great choices!!

They are all fabulous schools, so you can't go wrong with any of them. Academically and socially-speaking, I personally would choose Rice, as it's a smaller school, very strong in the sciences, and I like the residential college system. Also, my guess is that there are amazing opportunities at the local medical facilities and I believe that Rice in really quite good about supporting summer research and internships.

That said, in your particular case, it very much depends on the sport and how you feel about the teams and the coaches.

Athletics aside, in terms of ranking, prestige and quality of education, I would order them; 1) Duke; 2) Rice; 3) USC; 4) UCLA. In terms of overall experience, I'd probably switch Duke and Rice. In terms of athletics, I'd pick Duke for Basketball and USC for football.
  • Hastomen123Hastomen123 Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    I recommend speak to two members of the team at each school who are juniors or seniors (one could be a graduated senior), who are still on the pre-med path or in med school, and be very direct about how likely it is for you to do the sport for 4 years and go to med school. The moment will come when you have to miss practice to make a lab, or you have to miss part of the summer to do an internship, and at least one of those coaches will NOT be understanding.

How valuable you are to the team also makes a difference. Is this a headcount sport and you are the 9th out of 9 recruits? Or is it an equivalency sport and you are a 5 star recruit? The coach probably won't make special exceptions for you if you aren't the best one on the team.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,626 Senior Member
    ^ this. Ask if anyone among juniors and seniors is premed .
    If you're not a California resident cross out UCLA (no med school admissions for OOS in California and for residents it's already a bloodbath due to way more qualified seniors than spaces ).
    You want the college with the most support for premeds and the most flexible for athletes.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,216 Senior Member
    I think you'll find that athletes get priority registration at ALL schools, or at least if you don't get the schedule you need a miracle will occur and space will suddenly open up in that section you need to avoid missing practice. My own daughter experienced such a miracle.
This discussion has been closed.