Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Swim recruiting questions

1234568»

Replies to: Swim recruiting questions

• AcersaccharumAcersaccharum Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    Congratulations @jmtabb to your daughter!
  • ASKMotherASKMother Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    edited December 2018
    @jmtabb How exciting for your D to be able to keep on swimming AND be at a TOP university! MIT is lucky to have her and take my word for it as the parent of a first year at a select school you are so lucky to have the process of finding the right fit for them DONE!! (My D didn't make her decision until the final hour at the very end of April!) Now you can just enjoy the rest of her senior year and just live in every last moment! Congratulations!!
  • AlwaysMovingAlwaysMoving Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Congratulations!
  • politepersonpoliteperson Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    Congrats!
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    What a great ending @jmtabb! Congrats to your daughter.
  • Wombat921Wombat921 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Great journey! Thanks for sharing.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    @RW1 what are her times in the 50fr and 100fr. I get that coaches want height it sucks. But there are some times they need in the free or it is a no go. Also I believe you can always find a freestyler sprinter. Other strokes are tougher to find.
  • RW1RW1 Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    24.7, 53.6 both at 5000 feet. No worries now just applying with academics and will plan to walk on.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    @RW1 Those are great times and if you D is only 5'0 then that is impressive. I wish my D19 would have been able to achieve those times. I was around swimming for many years. I saw many kids go off to college from the club my D swam with. Those times are a bit outside of D1. They could be times for some D1 schools but then you are also trying to match the academic side with swim.

Sadly once a coach sees her height they won't be interested. I have seen some 5'10 girls get the benefit of the doubt.

Swimming is such a cutthroat sport as you know.

I have only seen 1 or 2 girls go off to college and improve while there. And the improvement was small. It has to be brutal to try to swim and go to college at the same time.

Good luck to your D and you just never know what can happen.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,227 Senior Member
    Size matters. My daughter was in the same swimming age group as Missy Franklin. Missy was about 9 months older but a million times bigger. Wing span, flippers for feet...size matters.

On Saturday we were at a restaurant and a number of the women's varsity lax team came in after practice. My mother couldn't believe how big they were. My daughter played D2 and I can confirm that the D1 players are much bigger. Daughter had some tall girls on her team (and some shorties) but they just aren't as big as these D1 players. And after the freshman have a season of lifting and conditioning, they are even more solid.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    I think it all depends on how much dryland and weight work your daughter has “enjoyed” during high school. Plus, the grind of multiple doubles per week. Some coaches will see potential in the swimmer who has not been tapped out and has more potential, even if 5 feet.
  • RW1RW1 Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Very little dryland and weights, too many academic pursuits. I'm sure your right that there are some coaches out there that would look past 5'0, D just wasn't lucky enough to talk to any of them. I also believe here academic pursuits limited her choices. Only great academic schools believed she would actually come, so my advice for what its worth; use the academics for financial purposes.... Its much easier.
  • AcersaccharumAcersaccharum Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    @RW1 Great swim schools are usually great academic schools. My D had mid level academics but swimming might have gotten her into higher academic schools. We needed merit, so we did not pursue the higher academic schools. So we did TONS of research and found a great fit for her. If you are high academic, but mid level athletic, your choices are more limited, but there are options - you just have to look really hard for them and probably compromise on something else like location, size, choice of major etc.
1234568»