Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Advice on the recruiting process

Replies to: Advice on the recruiting process

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,402 Super Moderator
    From our experience with the Dartmouth coach, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I think he's telling you to look elsewhere.

My son went ahead and applied - it was the one school out of 11 that rejected him. Interestingly, it was the one school he didn't like that much, anyway!
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 3,959 Senior Member
    I would interpret the Dartmouth remarks as, if you can improve your ACT score, and if the recruits I have listed ahead of you don't pan out, then maybe it can work out for you.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 2,435 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    @nowhiz, the Dartmouth coach's response is a boilerplate polite no. Continue to focus on schools you will thrive at as a student athlete; if you like the Northeast, then the D3 NESCAC Conference could be a great fit - amazing schools and the highest caliber D3 conference.
  • nowhiznowhiz Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Thanks everyone for the replies. After a little research, I've ended up reaching out to Amherst as well as Vassar and Dension, all the while keeping in contact with Pomona. I'll be taking the ACT again in September for improvement. I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.
    edited July 2017
    @nowhiz, if Denison is in the mix, then definitely take a look at Kenyon as it's a great school, a top D3 team and the facilities are amazing.
  • SwimDad99SwimDad99 Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    edited July 2017
    Concur. Son much preferred Kenyon to Denison (which he did like). Middlebury has a magnificent indoor track facility. If you like Amherst, you'll like Midd, too, and may consider adding to your short list.
    Actually, I forgot this was a track student athlete - Kenyon is known for swimming much more than track, although new sports complex is amazing. Middlebury's track team is very strong and it's facility is unmatched - for now. All of the NESCAC's are great - my DD will be a xc/track student athlete at Hamilton and had a hard time picking the one for her.
  • Sam-I-AmSam-I-Am Registered User Posts: 609 Member
    I concur that Midd's indoor track is best around and both the outdoor track and XC course have amazing views of the Green Mountains. The Trail Around Middlebury also makes for great training.
    Colby is building a new athletic complex to be completed 2020. Looks to be pretty fabulous.
  • jetbabiesjetbabies Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My D just went through the recruiting process for a different sport. We found that when a NESCAC, Ivy or other selective college's coach is serious you get a VERY enthusiastic email that says how impressed they are with you, how they can see you making contributions to their team and asking when they could talk to you. The coaches that requested a date and time to chat were the most serious about wanting her. In the NESCACs the earliest time an early read could be completed was July 1st. You can assume that coaches top picks are getting that great call "you passed the early read and I want to support your application" in July our August. Or, at least a call that says, you passed the early read, please come up for a visit and an overnight with the team this Fall.
    Regarding test scores, we were surprised to learn through this process, the some pretty great schools (Ivy's, Carnegie Mellon, etc) can go down to a 28-29 for an amazing athlete.
    Finally, talk to your track coach about what college is a good match for your ability level. Many of my daughters friends were Diii, or D II athletes trying to get DI scholarships. Or, lower level academically trying to get into more prestigious schools. Be realistic about both your grades and academics so you can find the best fit. You wouldn't want to go to a college where you would be struggling academically.
    Best of luck. There are thousands of great colleges out there. Many of them will be thrilled to have you.
  • Windows16Windows16 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    Do any of the top NESCAC schools or other top academic schools that have a non binding early admission? My son would like to get help getting in to a school that he wouldn't be locked into. I guess he could always fall in love but at this point is against committing early. He has talked with a coach that said he might be able to help with regular decision but wasn't very enthusiastic about it. He would be a preferred walk on level at most of the better D1 schools but a very good D3 recruit.

He may be a better fit academically at a smaller school or an honors college at a larger one. We can't decide if being full pay at a D3 is worth it when there are good state options because we are upper middle class but nothing more. At some schools, we would get some $$$ when his sibling enters college. Because of the cost issue, we haven't visited any of the D3 schools but he has gotten a coaches visit, phone calls and a couple asking for pre-read information for admissions
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,276 Senior Member
    Many of my daughters friends were Diii, or D II athletes trying to get DI scholarships.

You make that sound like there are not athletes who can play in any division, that D1 are the best athletes and D3 are the worst. That just isn't true. Many athletes have the choice of which division, often based on the type of school they prefer. Kids make that choice all the time - 'do I want to go to the top ranked team and be a bench player or do I want to be a starter?' A player may be a top player on a mid ranked D1, or a starter on D3 but can compete academically and athletically with either level.
    edited July 2017
    Agree with @twoinanddone as the NESCAC has a lot of athletes that decided academics would be the determinent.
  • Sam-I-AmSam-I-Am Registered User Posts: 609 Member
    @Windows16 asked above, "Do any of the top NESCAC schools or other top academic schools that have a non binding early admission?" I believe the answer to this is NO. They have ED, some of them EDII, and RD. If you are looking for non-binding EA, there are numerous CC threads on this topic. Perhaps read those over and see if any of those schools also have the sports opportunity your kid is interested in.
    @twoinanddone I think what @Windows16 was trying to express, was that for some athletes, athletic scholarship money is very important and that is what is driving them to some of the D1 leagues that give out sports scholarships. Other kids just want the best academic experience possible and may use sports as their hook at an Ivy or Nescac. Though they certainly aren't mutually exclusive as some D1 athletic scholarships also come from excellent academic schools.
This discussion has been closed.