Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Advice on the recruiting process

13»

Replies to: Advice on the recruiting process

• dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    There are great athletes at all levels. But the average D3 athlete in most sports isn't athletically able to compete at D1. There are very legitimate reasons some D1 level talent chooses to compete at D3. But the majority of athletes even at the college level aren't able to compete at D1. I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging that.
  • oldschooldadoldschooldad Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    edited July 2017
    As many people have suggested, the most helpful thing you can do is raise your ACT. Let me add one bit of advice : don't just sign up and expect to do better a second time. Please, STUDY and prepare specifically for the test. Take multiple practice tests and work on your weaknesses. This looks to be the single most important thing you can do for your collegiate running carrer right now.

I don't take the email from the Dartmouth coach or Brown coach as negative. My read is they have a limited amount of capital to spend each admissions cycle and right now your 800m time isn't quite fast enough and ACT isn't quite high enough for them to spend capital to bridge the gap. Your 800m time is right on threshold between walk-on and recruit for ivy programs. Your ACT is low in the range for those schools. I'm sure those coaches would love to have you on the team, But you need to get yourself closer to academic standards before they can try to give you a nudge in admissions. The Dartmouth coach gave you candid advice. Track season is over so you are unlikely to post faster times before admissions season. Focus on improving test scores

Word of caution: I advise not sharing details of conversations and identifying specific programs. Coaches might not appreciate it and will have no trouble figuring out who you are. When reading your post, names of coaches instantly came to mind, and that's a good indication you are being too specific. Better to share details in generic way, without identifying school, when posting here and asking for advice.

You got some good advice about D3 programs. I expect your times will attract more attention in D3. In addition to schools already mentioned, maybe look into Haverford? Coach Tom Donnelly has built a good program and produced some very fast runners including sub4 milers. NY Times did nice profile of him a few years ago--worth checking out.

When looking for the right school, don't only think about where you can get in. Also consider which programs will help your long term development as an athlete. A 1.56 high school runner can develop into a 1.4x stud by the end of college--and end up with a much better career than kids who had faster HS times. Ask not only "what coach will get me past admissions?" but also "which coach will help me reach my best?"

May I ask you a couple questions? How long have you been running and what is your mileage and training? Do you run xc too?
  • nowhiznowhiz Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    edited October 2017
    I've ran since the 7th grade, and currently I round roughly 20-30 miles a week. I run cross country and my best time so far this season is 16:26, alright I guess lol. Thanks for the advice, and I'll try to be more discrete when giving details. I'm currently looking in to a couple of D3 schools as well as I feel that would be a better fit for me.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 2,435 Senior Member
    @nowhiz, that seems like really light mileage for a senior - most are running 40+ miles. 16.26 may be ok, depending on course, but it needs to start with a 15 to get attention. What’s your 1600 and 3200 times?
13»
This discussion has been closed.