Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

who has time for an OV?

124»

Replies to: who has time for an OV?

• dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    @oldladyandmom Do you mind sharing the school and or sport? I would think it is a newer coach with that kind of reaction. They did a favor to the coach by being honest and giving him more time to pursue other options. It isn't like that coach will offer every single kid who takes an OV. Should the parent call him up and berate him for offering an OV without following up with a roster spot?

I guess if S has one lined up with them he should just enjoy the expense paid vacation.
  • crimsonmom2019crimsonmom2019 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    Finally going on D's OV to large D1 this weekend. I echo @planit, start early, visit on your own dime (way more important than people give credit to) and have your child drive the process. While she has been committed for a long time and knows this is where she wants to be, it's an exciting trip none the less. Very much looking forward to meeting the other recruits and their families!
  • planitplanit Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    @oldladyandmom , I don't think that's an Ivy thing; I think that's a "this coach is an ass" thing. My daughter canceled 3 after tickets were purchased (one was the school with the hazing incident that I've mentioned before), and plenty of her friends have also canceled visits. No one has ever reported that kind of reaction. I don't mean it didn't happen, just that it's definitely not the norm. Recruiting goes both ways--that coach will likely never pick up another recruit from your friend's team or club. Who in his right mind would want to compete for such a nut job?
    OV in the books! Great weekend, confirmed for the last time before D signs that it is absolutely the school and program for her. We'd not met the other commits or their parents, and they too, were wonderful (another factor that may be more important than people realize). Feeling very blessed to have the this opportunity be in her hands and to have the only con be she will be a long flight away. Guess we'll be using those frequent miles! As it seems CC doesn't have a lot of focus on gymnastics, if anyone ever has questions or need a sounding board, feel free to ping me privately.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,952 Senior Member
    @crimsonmom2019, congrats to your D!
    @Chembiodad Thanks! Participating in a major D1 school's process has been cool, I must admit. Super stoked both kiddos academic and athletic talents were met so well, even if across the country. Let the 30-day countdown to NLI Signing Day begin!
  • kjs1992kjs1992 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    @SevenDad - same here in our house! Fingers crossed for a good Xmas!
124»