Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Injury Ends Spring Track Season Early -How to Get Recruited

2»

Replies to: Injury Ends Spring Track Season Early -How to Get Recruited

• IvyParent6794IvyParent6794 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    If you are interested chatting offline let me know. I can give you my email
  • OnTrack2013OnTrack2013 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    Track recruiting for men (non-Ivys) goes well into senior year. My son (now wrapping up his last year at his D1) did not even get any contacts until January of his senior year of hs. He had a strong indoor season his last year in hs and ended up with lots of interest. Don’t worry, most athletes deal with injury at some point during their career and if he comes back strong for cross country it will go a long way to show his character and commitment to the sport.

E mail the coaches of the schools he is interested in and consider applying to schools he likes and wants to attend whether or not he has heard back from the coach at the time applications are due. We got the best offers as a mix of both academic and athletic monies.
  • 3boys4m33boys4m3 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    OnTrack, good to hear. Had your son already applied to the school that showed interest? Or did he apply to them after he heard from the coaches?
  • OnTrack2013OnTrack2013 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    We had my son apply to all the schools he had an interest in well ahead of hearing anything from coaches. We initiated contact in the fall of his senior year and most coaches did not get back to him until after he wrote and said he was admitted.

He applied to about a dozen schools total – a mix of D1 & D3 that had the major he wanted and a coach for his event. He is a vertical jumper and not all schools have a coach that knows what they are doing ! He was admitted to all, 8 awarded him academic money due to intended major and his grades/test scores, all partials. He had actual phone calls with only 4 coaches, most communication was done through email. Initially he was not offered any athletic money, but after telling coaches we had a set budget, and their school was over it, he got athletic offers which varied from books/fees to ~ 50% COA. So we focused on the ones where he got some academic money and some athletic money. He took 2 OVs and picked the one he liked best at the time, but out of pocket cost for us was about the same.

3 schools with good athletic programs/coaching for his event told him they never award money for male freshman track athletes, if you want to be coached by their coach and part of the program you will go there and pay full price, and maybe qualify for athletic dollars as an upperclassman. These schools unfortunately were State Universities for states other than our own, and came with a higher price tag than we could justify.

At the end of the day, there were 2 schools that he was admitted to, where he never heard anything back from the coaches, even though he sent at least 3 emails to the coaches (1- I am applying, 2- I am admitted, 3- Could I be on your roster?)

My son ended up accepting an offer out of hs from a strong academic school (it is on your short list) that gave him a mix of athletic & academic money. This first school was not a good fit, for a variety of reasons (all athletic) and he transferred to another D1 school that had hired a new event coach during his freshman year at the other university. This second time around he again receives academic money from an academic transfer scholarship that is awarded to all students with a given GPA and the coach gave him an athletic scholarship to cover the balance of his tuition. We still pay for room and board. During the entire time he was looking to transfer, my son was on again/off again injured and having a terrible year, but coaches looked at his entire performance history and understood that injuries happen. So I think you will be fine. just be honest with them so they don't misunderstand his current situation.

• 3boys4m33boys4m3 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    OnTrack2013, Surprising that the coaches of two of the schools that he was admitted to never responded to him. So he was communicating with coaches at schools he was admitted to during the middle to end of senior year? Sounds like your your son found the right fit as far as academics and coaching. Thank you for posting.
2»
This discussion has been closed.