Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Pioneer Football League college admission questions

Roxydog21Roxydog21 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hi CC forum, I am a new parent on this website and trying to help our oldest son (c/o 2019 3.3 / ACT 24) navigate 1-AA, D2 and D3 college football potentail opportunities. With his academics...does he have a shot at acceptance into higher academic Pioneer league schools (Davidson, Dayton, Butler, Jacksonville Univ. etc.)? We understand they do Not offer athletic scholarships so trying to decide if it's worth taking him to some of their upcoming summer camps?
thank you for any info.!

Replies to: Pioneer Football League college admission questions

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,885 Senior Member
    While D3 schools do not offer athletic scholarships, D2 and D1 do.
  • Roxydog21Roxydog21 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Yes but D1 Pioneer conference schools are like the Ivy league division and do not offer athletic scholarships so hoping that football will help with his acceptance chances? we are thinking? that these schools are not as competitive as other D1 FCS football programs but better academic schools
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,408 Forum Champion
    You are correct that the Pioneer is a D1 league that does not provide athletic aid for football. My son was recruited by a couple Pioneer schools out of high school and has a former teammate playing in the conference. If I recollect correctly, the coaches can provide admissions help, but on a less formal basis than in the Ivy/NESCAC conferences.

I would assume, but do not know, that his academics would not keep him out of most of the Pioneer (Davidson is probably a hard sell with a 24 ACT). Like with all recruiting, it is really going to come down to how attractive of an athletic recruit he is in the conference. It is really hard to get a handle on Pioneer recruiting, because they are pretty much looking for niche kids. I think most of the guys who play in that conference would be very good D2 and D3 players, but are not heavily recruited at the D1 level. It is a pretty thin slice of the pie.
  • Roxydog21Roxydog21 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you Ohiodad! That is the niche that our son thinks he will fit best...he is not a serious FBS school recruit, all interest if from lower D1 schools, D2 and D3...we are also concerned about walking on at a D1 or taking a partial scholarship at a FCS school that he's not too crazy about and then fighting for playing time from all the junior college transfers...really hoping that Pioneer league team opportunity will work for him out academically and financially!