Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

D3 basketball recruit AAU alone without high school team?

2»

Replies to: D3 basketball recruit AAU alone without high school team?

• sanmlnsanmln Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    BBHOPEFUL, I understand. My daughter weathered a toxic situation in HS. She was bullied by her teammates, and the coach was verbally abusive. We had thought about transferring, but her team was really, really good, and she liked winning championships, so she stuck it out. Her first college coach wasn't verbally abusive, but was a liar and played favorites, so we pulled the plug real quick on that. She transferred to another college that had recruited her out of HS and is much happier there and with that coach/team.

Will your son be a senior this fall? So just one season of HS bball left? In that case, maybe it would be worth it to sit out senior year to train if he's got some solid D3 interest already. I don't think it would hurt him much at that point, b/c the majority of his college recruiting would be done already. If he's going to be a junior in the fall, that's a different story. Junior year is probably the most important one to play.
  • mamommamom Registered User Posts: 3,575 Senior Member
    My D played all 4 years on her HS team for a coach who hardly played her the first 3 years. I would cringe when I picked her up and she would tell me "sorry I am late, I was talking to coach about how to get more playing time". Every time the coaches reply would be "give it time." He never gave her specifics. My D had no problem getting playing time on her much better AAU team and was recruited by several D3 LACs. In her Sr year, she got more playing time, but still less that several others. It drove me crazy. Ends up he got fired after my D's last season. Nice guy, lousy coach who played favorites, imo. I agree with you that you can get better play with positive motivation. My D's coach would constantly yell at and pull players from a game he felt were making mistakes, but kept his favorites in regardless. Very frustrating and many girls quit the team because of it. I don't having a problem pulling players who mess up, but you need to be consistent and apply it to all. Best of luck to you.
2»
This discussion has been closed.