I have accepted a scholarship to play a division 1 sport at a top 150 university in the US. Now, I am an excellent student and, without being cocky or anything, I had a pretty realistic chance of being accepted to an ivy league. Now, I had no luck with any ivy recruiting (currently finishing my junior year) and therefore pursued other academic options. Since everyone knows that I had a realistic chance of going to an ivy league I have been having some "backlash" for lack of better words. Friends, my counselor etc do not understand my decision to go to the other school and now I am having second thoughts. I know that the school I am going to is not a dead-end school, but it does not have the name an ivy holds. So, what I am trying to say is do you think it would have been better to have taken the chance and applied to an ivy league, possibly have gotten accepted and then walked-on, or go to a decent university and get to play the sport D1 too. Should I have waited and taken the gamble? Honestly, I also want to simply apply to at least one ivy league senior year, just to see if I would have gotten in. Ever since the 6th grade the ivy league has been my goal, but when athletic recruiting began, I realized that the ivy league was not the end-all-be-all and decided to look at "lesser" prestigious schools. I just want to make it clear that I understand that there is more to this world than the ivy league, I am just wondering if I should have pursued it nonetheless considering my chances of getting accepted.
Also, is there any way that I could apply, even just for the fun of it? This is considering the fact that I will have an NLI, and I think the coach wants me to apply ED, but I am not 100% sure.