Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Official visits DIII

2»

Replies to: Official visits DIII

• gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 473 Member
    As far as the visit per se, I am not sure that there is a lot to prepare for. You have gotten a lot of good advice from the other posters. Since you have more than one visit, as the others have suggested, use this as the opportunity that it is -- letting your daughter peek under the hood and see if she likes the coach, likes the team and likes the school. It is far more than most non-recruit applicants will get before submitting applications.

If you will accompany your daughter, you may want to work out in advance what you will be doing while your daughter is having a great weekend with potential teammates. You may want to brings some things to keep yourself occupied. I have recollections of multiple tours of college libraries, shopping in useless college town boutiques and generally counting the minutes until I arguably could partake in the next meal.

Two things to ask in advance. First, does the coach want to meet with you and your daughter at the end of the weekend. This is fairly typical, and you should be prepared to get the coach to commit to the usual suspect questions. Will my daughter get in, how many are you recruiting this year, where is my daughter on that list of recruits, will she have a roster spot, will she need to try out, where do you anticipate her fitting in, is she expected to apply early decision, how do we learn about financial aid (most likely the coach will punt on this one). Please note, the coach will expect these questions and they must be asked for you to get any kind of true assessment of fit with the team.

Second, should your daughter bring a sleeping bag. As @kjs1992 suggests, otherwise she may be sleeping on a never vacuumed rug with an extra thin throw blanket to keep her "warm."

• BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    My son had to fly into all of his OVs since we live in flyover land and the schools he visited were all on the left and right coasts. We scheduled all his OV's where he flew out Thursday and came home Saturday or Sunday to minimize time from school. We let him go by himself because we felt it was time for him to start handling these types of things independently, from travel to interacting with adults and peers. The common themes were that he spent a good deal of time with the head coaches talking about his fit with the team, the process and the school and where else he was considering. He stayed with a potential teammate and hung out with them socially. It seemed as if the teams pretty much hung out together. The coaches were all thoughtful enough to ask him his academic interests beforehand and paired him with team members that had classes in his areas of interest. For him, the experience was all about fit academically and athletically, so I think he was more in "absorb" mode instead of "recruit me" mode. He brought his baseball glove, but I don't think he ever used it.
  • AlwaysMovingAlwaysMoving Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Great points above. Here are a few questions that former swimmers told my D to ask:

- What is the practice schedule like during the season, off season, breaks, and the summer? Some of the women were expected to attend summer school once or twice for more coaching for example.

- How do they manage the balance between academics and swimming? Get specific. Do they prefer certain easier majors? Is it OK to miss practice to study? Do they take missed tests while traveling?

- What do I have to do to make the travel team? Some schools have bigger budgets that let them bring a lot of swimmers while other teams bring the bare minimum.

• jmtabbjmtabb Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    Thanks all! We confirmed back to the coach overnight and have dates for the visit. The coach is recommending red eye flights in both directions, has said they can arrange transport to/from from the airport. The coach is giving us the impression that we could send her on her own - without a parent.

Funnily enough, my husband’s first comment before we got back the coach’s e-mail was that we could both go and have the time together while she did the OV. So I went to bed thinking this would be a 3 man trip and woke up to the idea that it might be my daughter alone. She’s a seasoned traveller so the airport/flights alone don’t concern us but it was a little unexpected. Just trying to get used to the idea that she’ll be doing these things on her own pretty soon anyway but thinking one of us should travel with her this time still.

So now we’re confirmed for this OV, and will start figuring out transport. Super exciting times!
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,243 Senior Member
    You can decide if you want to go or not. I didn't have to attend with my daughter, but I wouldn't have seen the school and couldn't have helped her decide in the end. As it was, the coach didn't involve me very much and that was a big turn off.

Some coaches have the opinion that the choice of schools is 100% the child's. That's not how it worked in our family. I visited my non-athlete's school choices too before the final decision. You may decide that you'll let the student go first and then the family will only go to decide between the last two, but for use we didn't have enough time for that. D looked as some schools in the summer, went to the OV in Sept and Oct, and had to decide in November.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,442 Forum Champion
    edited June 2018
    I think you are right @SevenDad lol. I will put a new post up to draw some more suggestions.
  • jumpermomjumpermom Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Our daughter flew on her own to 4 of her 6 OVs. We had excellent communication with the coaches who checked with us every step of the way. She was picked up and dropped back off at the airport usually by the coach him/herself. We communicated with the coaches that we wanted to be involved in any scholarship/money talks so that was done via phone call after our daughter was back home from her visit.
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad Registered User Posts: 311 Member
    Our DD's experience with D3 visits was much like @kjs1992 (without the partying.)

We did the Admissions thing on Monday morning, and once we were done a player from the team came by and swept her away. They went to class, saw a practice, went to dinner with the team and hung out talking later on. Several team members met them for breakfast and I caught up with them there. The coach, DD and I talked for 30-45 minutes after everyone cleared out. She slept on a cot/mat thing on the floor, got passed around a bit as one of her hosts had a test to study for the next day, and met most of the squad.

Ask about roster churn, about fitting majors with labs into the season schedule, if freshmen get to play, and any other cultural stuff that you can't find online. If you have an injury history ask about the training staff. (My DD had a concussion history she wanted to discuss.) In her case she liked the team and they liked her, and things have worked out well so far.

In her first two years at school she's hosted or joined up with visits from a bunch of PSAs, and the formula doesn't change much. Doing a weekday visit is better in some ways because it removes the obligation to entertain, there's no gameday routine to work around, and it's easier to see classes.
  • mamommamom Registered User Posts: 3,576 Senior Member
    I and my D found these visits incredibly important. She is a basketball player. There was always a captains practice, overnight with a current player, attending one or two classes of interest to my D, and a meeting with the coach. We typically had already met with the coach (parent and D during previous visits) so the meeting was usually just my D. My D probably ruled out 3 schools with these visits, for various reasons. Considering the cost of 4 years of college, I found these visits very important.
  • bigfandavebigfandave Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    Actually, you pay for air, and school should pay for transfers, lodging and meals in interested D3s customarily.
  • gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 473 Member
    @bigfandave,

I don't disagree, but many leagues have their own rules. The NESCAC website will tell you what NESCAC schools are permitted to reimburse and other various rules about officials and unofficials.
  • OutaStateOutaState Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Advise your kid not to drink....if they need to have an 'excuse' for the team, tell them they don't want to blow it for the team "(being underage can get the host in trouble, too). They don't want it to get back to the coach, etc. They are trying to keep off the calories for an upcoming meet, etc. Lots of reasons not to do it, and showing resolve and leadership might actually help them. I've heard of recruits not passing this 'test' and getting passed over for being a 'push-over', and subsequently being pushed down the coaches priority list.
  • mamommamom Registered User Posts: 3,576 Senior Member
    I was nervous about the drinking thing before D went on her OVs last fall. It ended up being a non issue. She was never bought to parties and on at least 2 occasions she said the coach told her team mate hosts to not bring her to any. I would be surprised if the student hosts do not understand the issue. But, obviously many kids do get taken to parties and need to have a plan in mind ahead of time.
2»