Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Official Visit and Early Commitment

2»

Replies to: Official Visit and Early Commitment

• RecruitedSwimmerRecruitedSwimmer Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Our son has visited and met with the coaches at most of the schools and has continued to be in touch through email and phone calls. As a result, he has already been invited on official visits and has turned in all his academics (ACT/Subject Tests/GPA/Senior Class Schedule) and registered with NCAA Clearinghouse - coaches have informed us he is above the academic index and I believe he is in the process of getting pre-reads. I thought the student had to get a green light from admissions before getting invited to official visits, so perhaps the coaches believe he has the green light? At some of the schools, he was told that if he verbally commits, then he has a spot on the team and in the school. The Ivys, I believe, would come after October 1 and only if son commits to the school and they commit to supporting him with a likely letter. We really feel that he should do the officials to make sure the school/team/coach is the right fit. Just hoping he doesn't forego opportunities by waiting. What about merit money at some schools? I know the Ivys don't give merit, but what about some others? Can kids get that even if committing early or do they need to apply regular?
  • downallunderdownallunder Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    In our kid's sport, the coach (in particular the Ivy coaches), depending how high up on the rank the athlete is, the sooner they wanted a commitment. It was in Feb of junior year when they wanted a verbal commitment. As soon as the commitment was turned down by the "top" athlete, they offered the recruitment slot to the next person down the list. The commitments are made way before Oct 1 of the senior year. Oct 1 is when the first wave of Likely Letters are sent by the Ivy schools. We had to submit a completed application by Sept 15, including all LoR, essays, test scores. Then on Oct 1st received the Likely Letter, and have been on cloud nine every since. Therefore, I wouldn't wait until the Fall of senior year to make the commitment. If your son is good enough for the coach to ask him to commit in the Spring of his junior year, and it's from his top choice school, I would commit, or else the slot will be offered to someone else.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,444 Forum Champion
    As others have said, so much is going to depend on the recruit's athletic desirability at each school in the mix. There are kids out there in all sports at all levels who can wait until after signing day and have their pick of schools, there are others who will be given very short windows in which to respond to an offer (what is commonly called an "exploding offer"). The question of whether to wait to commit until after an OV will depend in large part on where your son fits on that continuum at each particular school he is considering. So personally, I would let that timeline drive the commitment decision rather than the OV calendar.
  • Wombat921Wombat921 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    This is a very helpful thread. My question is, with all the recent changes to D1 recruiting timetables, are OV invitations still coming around July 1? And are visits still mainly happening in September? @Ohiodad51 and others
  • recruitparentrecruitparent Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    This was not swimming but if it helps, my D was fairly heavily recruited by D1 schools. She did not do her official visits and commit until Fall of her Sr. Yr. We visited unofficially a few before then, met with coaches, etc. but did not make any official visits, overnights or commit to the school until mid Oct of her Sr. Yr. She ended up at a top Ivy.
  • RightCoasterRightCoaster Registered User Posts: 2,771 Senior Member
    @Wombat921 I have a son who was being recruited for track and field. He received lots of correspondence spring of his Junior year. We made some unofficial visits to some New England schools before the summer. During the summer he was invited to several T&F Open House events ( all prospects invited) at Ivies. He also talked and texted with 15-20 schools of interested over the summer, D1,D2,D3. In July multiple schools asked him if he wanted to do a Pre-read with admissions. He did that. After getting back positive feedback from several schools he decided to OV at his #1 choice. He had offers from other schools to do OV's, and he managed others by visiting during the school week as they were close by. All OV's were scheduled in Sept-October, but some schools said he could visit later if he had conflicts.

At the conclusion of his OV at his #1 choice the coach reiterated that son would have his full support if he applied ED. So, he did that. And it worked out. We had mapped out a Plan B in case his first choice didn't pan out, but it never got to that thankfully.

All in all it was a fairly straightforward process. Most coaches were upfront and communicative. There were a couple that were not, and that skewed my son's perception of those institutions. I think he ended up at a great option for him, although he could've gone in numerous directions and it probably would've worked out fine too.
  • Wombat921Wombat921 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    This is really helpful @RightCoaster and @recruitparent. Thanks!
  • gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    @Figgy2, That is called the serendipity of athletic recruiting. It comes from early planning, keeping an open mind and letting the right thing happen. Congrats!
2»