Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Claremont consortium recruiting

2»

Replies to: Claremont consortium recruiting

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,036 Senior Member
    Your kid should talk to Mudders in their sport about the reality of balancing academics and the Mudd workload. My kid had friends who were athletes. Some managed to balance it pretty well, but some were pretty frustrated with having almost no free time and struggling to keep up academically.
  • LemonleeLemonlee Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @Aimtrue Sorry, I don’t have anything to add as my child was recruited for Pomona. But I concur with the other recommendations regarding asking the coach as I would think it varies by sport.
  • AimtrueAimtrue Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Thanks. That is good to know!
    @lemoniee @intparent Would you suggest asking at the visit day or waiting until fall senior year when final junior grades and scores done.
    @rightcoaster @VADad1066 So if a kid is solidly in gpa and scores for mudd it seems coaches can have pull at Mudd. There are Mudd kids on the team, just not too many.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,036 Senior Member
    Oh, I’d ask every athlete Mudder I met on the visit day. Mudders all know that the struggle is real. Your kid can ask how teammate’s GPAs are holding up, seek out team members who have the same major your kid plans for and see how academics have gone for them, ask if they have class/lab/sports schedule conflicts and how those work out, ask how they handle the academic workload during the season especially.

Mudd doesn’t want students who aren’t bought into the academic rigor at Mudd. They’d think your kid was smart for asking and assessing whether it is for them. It is a great school, but students and admissions would all say that the more you understand the school coming in, the better off you will be.
    @intparent Thanks! Good advice.
  • tenniswimvballtenniswimvball Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    A little late in this response, but I know for my kid's team, the coach can fill his quota from both CMC and Mudd. They are two separate allotments of slots. So CMC is the more desired school for most recruits on the team, but if someone is applying to Mudd, that gives the coach pull for a greater number of players.
2»