Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Academic Pre-reads at NESCAC Schools

19and2119and21 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
Does anyone know how long it typically takes for an academic pre-read at NESCAC schools? Coach submitted everything on Monday and just wondering about how long it will take.

Replies to: Academic Pre-reads at NESCAC Schools

• gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 432 Member
    Depending on when submitted, I would estimate 2-3 weeks. You can always ask the coach if you want more certainty. Asking the coach won't harm you at all. It will only convey your level of interest in the program.
  • RightCoasterRightCoaster Registered User Posts: 2,268 Senior Member
    Just a couple of days ago son was told 1-2 weeks depending how busy the athletic department's admissions rep was. Good luck.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,145 Senior Member
    Summer can be a bit wonky, though, as it's the best time of year for admissions staff to take vacation, so don't get too worried if it seems to take longer than you expected.
  • HPTD12HPTD12 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Thanks for sharing your story @InquiringMom3. I think there are a couple of things your story drives home:

1) Just because you "pass" the academic pre-read, does not mean that you are going to get an offer. Athletic prowess is the other major hurdle. So the pre-reads may be completed in July, but the offers (at least in my son's case) do not come until August (might vary by sport).

2) If you do not have an explicit offer from the coach with full support, then you are taking a big chance applying there ED. Having gone through this process, our rule was no offer = no application.
  • mamommamom Registered User Posts: 3,463 Senior Member
    As my D's story shows, D3 recruitment is a game of musical chairs, both with the coach, who is trying to put together the best team possible and with the applicant who is trying to find the right academic and athletic fit. My D got a positive pre read, then fell off the coaches list in Sept only to get back on in Oct. She had other coaches interested, but this was her #! choice. IMO, it ain't over til the fat lady sings and you get that acceptance.
    As @mamom suggests, it is a game of musical chairs. I'll bet that many coaches have a longer list than needed, just in case their top picks decide to go elsewhere, leaving room for another recruit to move up. Similarly, an Ivy recruit could decide at the last moment to go NESCAC, leaving a D1 player in a NESCAC coach's lap, pushing the other recruits down the list. That is why positive pre-reads are critical, but not decisive.

It is also why recruits should cast a wide net with colleges. There are some crazy good colleges that might have the need for just the skills that your son or daughter has. Even if you scour the college website rosters for how many seniors are graduating, you will never know about injuries, science majors deciding to focus on academics, and kids just fed up with athletics.

If your kid loves the school, of course do the recruiting trip in the fall. If you go on the trip and are with your kid during the recruiting meeting, ask the coach where your kid is on the list of recruits. That helps to assess the risks of an experience similar to @InquiringMom3. Also stay in touch with the coach at say 2-4 week intervals throughout the fall. You can tell things from the coach's responses to those emails.

Finally, trust the process. The bumps in the road are largely self-correcting. Usually, no matter where the kids end up, they have a terrific educational experience.

• LMC9902LMC9902 Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    I'm very interested in this thread because my daughter hopes to play NESCAC lacrosse so thanks everyone for your input. From what I'm reading, it looks like no NESCAC schools make a commitment until right before ED time in the fall of senior year, is that correct? And even then it's not always clear? Do they ever tell a student over the summer before senior year that they plan to support an application for admission?

That must be really hard on everyone! My daughter is already emailing regularly with coaches and she's a rising sophomore - I can see how it would be really disappointing for kids who have been doing this with positive response for a long time to be suddenly dropped when things shift. That's life I suppose but how many coaches can you realistically do this with? 6, 8, 10? I can't imagine keeping in close contact with more than that. And if that is the case, when did many of you know which ones were better bets than others? Was it by junior year September or was it not really until the fall of senior year?
  • shuttlebusshuttlebus Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    @LMC9902 I think that the timing of when a coach offers support is going to depend on a number of factors, with the main factor being the athletic level of the recruit. My kiddo had all of the standardized testing completed at beginning of junior year and was offered a spot in winter of junior year. The spot was accepted since it was the top choice, and other coaches were notified then. The official pre-read still took place in July and we had to wait until December for an official result since the league does not issue likely letters. I was nervous since nothing was official until December of senior year and many other doors had been closed months earlier. However, I was the only one in my house who was nervous, and my worrying was for nothing as it worked out great in the end.
    @LMC9902, I would say that there is a good degree of variation in when coaches offer admissions support. I would also say that the offer for support usually would occur before the ED deadline, but not right before the deadline. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number in September. If you are sensitive to what coaches are saying, you will get a sense of where you stand in the summer preceding senior year.

By the way, ten emails every 2-4 weeks doesn't seem like an awful lot to me. If you cast a wide net early on -- say like 50 schools -- you soon get a sense of which coaches are responding and whether they have any interest. The pool becomes smaller rather quickly. The good thing about emailing a large number of schools is that the coach often circles back much later on if they have a need. Each school has its own recruiting schedule.

@shuttlebus, I am not sure it was a bad thing for you to be nervous. It worked out just perfectly for you, but being nervous just reflects the leap of faith required when you apply ED. Also best not to forget the gift of D3 athletic recruiting. Should not take it for granted.
  • fleishmo6fleishmo6 Registered User Posts: 527 Member
    I Second @shuttlebus comment, that was same time table both of my boys went through. My response is always the same with this type of question. You ask as many questions as possible, try to find out coaches past history with acceptances with regards to supported athletes. Then if satisfied, push the ED button, take the leap of faith, cross your fingers and stress until acceptance day
    good luck
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    If you are on the top of the coach's list, based on D and S's (and their friends') experiences, they will tell you in September and press you to commit to applying ED. They are trying to solidify their position in musical chairs. If you are just getting good but vague encouragement even after a pre-read, then you are probably somewhere in the middle or bottom of the list. It is incumbent on you/your kid to politely press the coach at that point to see exactly where you stand. I also believe that coach's for their part appreciate candor on the recruit's part and an early heads up. S made his decision by early October and informed all coach's of his decision immediately. Two of the coach's followed up with him after SCEA decision day to see if he got into his school (was not a recruit there) because they could still offer support for EDII. I like to think he had this opportunity in part because he did not burn bridges.
  • LMC9902LMC9902 Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    This is all great to know, thanks everyone. @gointhruaphase I agree that emailing may not take much time but I was thinking more about going to individual camps - it's hard to know where to invest your time and money. I guess you just need to do your best and guess where the fit might be good. I have taken a look at rosters and background of players on teams where my daughter hopes to play and feel like she is well positioned at many of her top choices - but who knows? I guess it will be a busy few years either way!
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,177 Senior Member
    Lacrosse is a little different. The D1 and D2 schools can't recruit until Sept 1 of junior year, so some of those texting with D3 coaches may drop out if they decide to pursue D1/D2. Others may drop out once there is a financial pre-read before senior year. Most of the coaches are pretty experienced in knowing who is in and who won't make it through admissions. They also know if they need goalies or middies. Things could change because of how the seasons play out too. A national championship or a bad year can change the needs of the team.

It somehow works out, even with all the moving pieces.