Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Waiting for pre-read answer

Replies to: Waiting for pre-read answer

• midwesternmomof4midwesternmomof4 Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    Good advice. I told her maybe take the Literature and French SAT subject tests. Yes, the coach is definitely fighting for her. He said they are "doing everything they can" and "trust the process", whatever that means.
    She also offers some geographical and socioeconomic diversity on the team, for whatever that is worth. :)
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,442 Forum Champion
    The coach definitely mentioned "Bands", so I assumed they use the band system. I always thought it was only football too.

The 4 band system is football only in the Ivy. A similar system is used in basketball and men's hockey afaik. That is by conference rule. Of course, a particular school's athletic department may use that language when they are dividing up lower AI recruits among certain sports.

@midwesternmomof4 has the pre read request been submitted yet? My guess is that is gonna give you the best information, and I personally would wait until that comes back before deciding on next steps.
    Yes, they submitted the pre-read Friday. Coach is hopeful we will have an answer in 1-3 weeks, he thinks more on the quicker side. They submit 5 pre-reads at a time (Men and Women both). He definitely said the team average was important. It's interesting, because from what I seem to be seeing, the IVY's are placing more emphasis on the ACT/SAT than they are on grades. Coach even said they got in a boy that had some C's and D's but a 1450 SAT. This school is her dream....
  • HPTD12HPTD12 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Standard test scores make up 2/3 of the AI, i.e. 160 out of the 240. If you take the SAT then very easy to translate, i.e. a 1450 SAT = 145 in the AI
    Interesting. They told her that they calculated her AI and it is a 201. Maybe you are looking at an older version?
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 914 Member
    edited July 2018
    ^^^they may have calculated gpa in only core subject classes, eg, no PE, art, other electives
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    @midwesternmomof4 --Some schools do that. I understand why because they are trying to exclude easy A's but on the other hand maybe someone loves art. I feel like required electives should be included.
    I'm pretty sure they used her entire GPA from all classes.
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 501 Member
    I talked to several ivy coaches in a non football sport. None used the word "bands", but I think to a certain extent they all think along those lines. It may be their pull with admissions, or just how they meet their AI#. But pretty much all said something to the effect of the top recruit needing a certain score, the bottom needing something else, with the rest falling in between. To oversimplify, if they need an average 32 ACT, they can take a kid with a 27. But those extra 5 points have to come from somewhere. So the bottom 2 recruits need a 34 and 35 to keep the team average where it needs to be. Even if they aren't formally working with bands I'm guessing it ends up working in a similar fashion.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I’ve read here many times that an ivy pre-read is most successful if the act composite starts with a 3. I’d say a retest should be done and get your hands on every online and test prep book practice test and make your way through them. My S19 did it this way and throughout a month or two of pretty consistent practice, his scores began to settle pretty much where he ended up. I would say the delta between the initial cold practices and the final was about five points on each section. And follow on DD20 is using this method as well.
  • TanbikoTanbiko Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
    If the coach tells your daughter to increase the test score then she will have to retest. If not then the coach may be able to make up for her 201 AI. The coaches usually have some degree of control over the average team AI. I believe many lower profile sports have team averages around 210. HYP may be higher.
    Do you happen to know if the team average is men/women combined or just the women's average and just the men's average? I happen to know that the women's average is much higher than the men.
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    ^There is an overall average all recruited athletes have to hit (the 1 standard deviation in AI vs. the general student body). Because of the bands in football which allow for greater deviation, and reported lower standards for other sports (typical suspects, basketball, hockey and lacrosse), the other sports have to make up for it. I don't know, but I strongly suspect each coach is allocated a minimum average each year (which may very well be different by sport and gender) so that the athletic department can hit its overall minimum. Might there be some horse trading between coaches at any given year or the AD and AO letting one sport go lower than their target because other sports have exceeded theirs, would not be surprised.
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 501 Member
    My understanding is pretty much the same as @BKSquared. Every coach gets their own AI number that they have to meet, and the aggregate of the coaches' individual numbers has to meet the athletic department requriement. Individual sports' numbers will vary widely based on what everyone says here.
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 2,069 Senior Member
    @midwesternmomof4 be aware that the French SAT subject test is very hard to score well on because they are skewed by so many heritage speakers that take them.