Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Division 3 schools academic standards

MrDiazMrDiaz Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
Are the academic standards for division 3 schools higher than div 1 schools in order to be recruited? I saw on the NCAA webpage and it said that the admissions take the same academic standards as a general student body.

Replies to: Division 3 schools academic standards

• gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,855 Senior Member
    This will depend on the school. But at most of the schools in the NESCAC, for example, you would need to be a competitive applicant without your sport. Your sport is what allows you, as one of many, many qualified applicants, to be one of the few who gets an acceptance letter.

Also, at many of the big D1 schools (particularly state schools), there is a wider range of academic ability and often academic support specifically for athletes. It might be easier as a weaker student to find a good academic path at one of those, whereas a school like Williams, that woulD not be possible.

At D3 schools, it is important that all the students, including student-athletes, be able to succeed there. Sports are not a source of revenue, so the school gains virtually nothing by accepting an athlete who can't cut it academically. A top football program at a D1 school may have different incentives.

But in the end, D1 includes a wide range of schools as does D3. You should be able to find a good fit academically and athletically somewhere.
  • LMC9902LMC9902 Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    It really depends on the D3 school because there are so many different ones with standards that vary as much as the schools you're looking at. Same in D1 really. My daughter has gotten interest from tiny D3 schools we had never heard of before and they have much lower academic standards than others she's talking to in the NESCAC. I guess that would be the same if you applied without sports too - some schools are more challenging than others in terms of admission, For D1 schools like Ivy's and other top academic D1 programs, they require students with good grades and high scores too but some other D1 programs may be more flexible. There is no standard answer here so you would need to ask about specific schools.
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    There are recruited athletes at NESCAC (generally at the top of the heap academically of D3) as well as legacy and URM just like D1. I personally know a few and they would never have been admitted to Middlebury, Bowdoin, Williams or Amherst without Lacrosse, football or Hockey etc. Main difference for D3/NESCAC athletes is that the schools are smaller-smaller numbers. Smaller teams. Harder to offset a few lower academic recruits than at D1/Ivy. So yes and no: depends on the level of recruit or special circumstance.
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    I think the overly broad answer is that at almost any school if you are a highly recruited athlete the admission standards are going to be at least a little bit relaxed. That's pretty across the board regardless of division. MIT, Chicago, and a few others are exceptions.

I think it is also fair to say that in general D1 is more flexible than D3. D2 probably similar to D1. Having said that, there still are standards that will have to be met. Unless you are an NFL level quarterback prospect you're probably not getting into Harvard with a 24 ACT score.
  • MrDiazMrDiaz Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    NYU for example?
  • MrDiazMrDiaz Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I mean my top choice is BU which is in div 1 but just curious lol
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    actually @dadof4kids you can get into Harvard with a 24 ACT.
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 504 Member
    Academics are somewhat relaxed for excellent athletes at Chicago, too. Emphasis on the word, "somewhat".
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    @Center could be. I'm guessing basketball or helmet sport at Harvard and a high recruit. I know S was given numbers to hit at some schools that were well below what most CC posters say are required for non helmet athletes, so if you are saying it happens I'm not going to argue. I'm guessing it doesn't happen for the typical Harvard athlete though.

My point was that while there are athletes with perfect SATs, the average athlete will get by with lower academic credentials. Even so, there is a floor, and it is generally higher than the minimum AI set by the Ivy League. Where that floor is will vary based on school, sport and how badly you are wanted by the coach.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,442 Forum Champion
    edited July 2018
    ^ My supposition is that most of the kids who get into high academic schools with very low (relatively) standardized test scores probably have something else in the quiver besides being very, very good at a particular sport. I would bet quite a lot that most of those kids also have other things in their application that make it easier for admissions to "swallow" a subpar test score. Things like low socio economic status, some type of minority status, attending a crappy high school, first gen student, English as a second language, broken/single family homes, living outside a zip code where SAT prep classes and multiple testing are common, etc.

There certainly may be a very small handful of kids who are just that good at their sport that the school decides to admit the kid. But at the end of the day, the goal of everyone involved is to get the kid out with a degree so that he or she can eventually become a contributing alumni. It doesn't do anyone any good if they admit kids who can't keep up.