Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NCAA rule on same discipline sport competition?

BigBlueSwimBigBlueSwim Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
My son heard today that he would not be able to, per an NCAA rule, swim for a school's NCAA team and also compete as a member of the same schools collegiate triathlon club. Told that triathlon, swimming, track, and XC were consider "same discipline" sports. Wonder why the NCAA would care about this since I thought club teams were not under their jurisdiction. I get why some coaches might care about their athletes training and competing in multiple sports, but not the NCAA. Anyone have any insight on why this is the case?

Replies to: NCAA rule on same discipline sport competition?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,276 Senior Member
    The athlete could violate the training hours limits or other NCAA rules of accepting support through the other team. Even though the NCAA doesn't regulate the clubs, the schools often support them through the athletic dept, subsidize them, provide coaches and transportation, provide uniforms, food, facilities.
  • BigBlueSwimBigBlueSwim Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    Would this mean NO club participation by any NCAA athlete regardless of discipline? Was given the impression that he could join cycling club as it is not considered the same disciple as swimming.