Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Patriot league swimming question

MrDiazMrDiaz Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
Do patriot league colleges (espaically Boston university) have a minimum cut off for SAT scores for recruited swimmers? Or do they care more on your gpa rather than test scores?

Replies to: Patriot league swimming question

• jmtabbjmtabb Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    @MrDiaz - you are looking for fall 2019, right? The time is now to get in touch with the coaches and get this information directly from them. They already have their list of targeted recruits, are working through any preread process the school uses. The coaches are usually very honest if your grades or test scores meet or do not meet their recruiting requirements, and you need to get this verified “from the source”so you can know how to proceed.
  • MrDiazMrDiaz Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    Jmtabb i am graduating in 2019 but im taking gap year since my graduation date is december 2019. Therefore i will be entering uni with high school class of 2020 graduates.
    @jmtabb i will still be in school doing ib diploma in fall 2019 because its september
  • jmtabbjmtabb Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    The school year in the United STates starts in August/September. The swim programs do too (it's a fall/winter sport) If you are graduating after August 2019 then your timing is different enough that the "gap year" is a given.

NCAA rules are changing, and as of September 1 direct coach contact can start for Juniors too - which would be you. I'd be getting in touch with the coaches for any schools you are interested in and ask these questions now. The coaches who want you will be very honest in telling you if your grades and test scores are good enough or if you need to retest to hit a certain number.

Regarding the GPA/SAT score question, it's my understanding that Patriot League uses an Academic Index system similar to the Ivy League schools do. I don't know if they use it for all sports or not, what the formula is or what the expected AI is in any given band - those are questions for the coaches.

edited July 2018
    @jmtabb i think i will be looking for fall 2020..since im graduating december 2019..my university counsellor told me
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 892 Member
    edited July 2018
    You can actually contact coaches directly in many instances (check NCAA swimming specific rules) before junior year (kids are still verbally committing even with new rules from April 2018), you just can't take unofficial or official visits in Patriot league (D1) schools until Sept 1 of your junior year. But I am not sure if the NCAA considers you a junior or senior this sept, considering the odd calendar/grad date you have.

I would suggest you fill out the online recruiting forms for the swim teams you are interested in ASAP, this is allowed anytime and a great place to start. You can also email coaches (coach can't recruit you via email until sept 1 jr yr, but can send camp and other info). You can also make calls to coaches for many sports, the only rub is that the coach has to pick up the phone, as they can't call you back until sept 1, assuming NCAA considers this fall your junior year (again, uncertainty). Good luck.