Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need slot, not scholarship

2»

Replies to: Need slot, not scholarship

• jmtabbjmtabb Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    Based on what we’ve seen with teammates and in our own conversations for swim, coaches do sometimes have slots for support through admissions but no money. That’s the kind of thing that the coaches communicate to you. If the coach is saying “keep us posted” I thought that was coach-speak for “You unfortunately don’t make it on the list for coach support right now but if you get admitted on your own merits let us know”.
  • iaparentiaparent Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    The other thing to consider is male vs. female sports. On the male side I have started to see teams have self imposed (or AD imposed) roster limits in order to comply with title IX. Just last year I had an athlete willing to walk on, never expect money turned down at several power 5 schools where he would have been competitive with the rest of the roster (and not needing coaches support) as they didn't have a roster spot for him. On the flip side he landed a walk on spot at a perennial top ten school in his sport because a top recruit fell through and they had a roster spot as a result. He is happy as can be but knows he is one big recruit away from being cut (unless he improves dramatically) in order to open a spot of the recruit. So far one year down and on the roster for year 2, only 2 more years to sweat.
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    @iaparent illustrates several key points. Title IX makes it much harder for males in general, across the board. Lots of unsavory things reported with dozens of females on rosters who never play or practice. Also every school is different, every division is different, every sport is different, every coach is different (winning or losing, tenure can equate to power and influence). So many variables. At the end of the day a top recruit knows they are top recruit. Top students that are middle caliber athletes should focus on schools that might need their grades.
  • jmk518jmk518 Registered User Posts: 278 Junior Member
    ^^Title IX creates equity for women. How does it make it harder for males?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,216 Senior Member
    Well, as stated above, some men's rosters now have to be limited because schools have to have as many opportunities for women (proportionally) as for men. If women at a school don't want to play basketball or soccer, there may not be as many playing on those teams so then the men's teams might have to be smaller. Some schools have dropped some male sports (swimming, track) because they can't add any more women's teams and are out of balance (and money).

It is not unusual for a school to offer 15 men's sports and 18 women's just to get the numbers closer and scholarship dollars closer. Some women's teams get more scholarships than men's (gymnastics, rowing, volleyball) to equal things out.

Title IX is a wonderful thing and really has forced college athletic departments to close the gap.
    Title IX accomplished some laudable goals --that is an absolute certainty--but it is also a bit of a joke--i.e the law of unintended consequences. Not everything should always have to be exactly equal on paper ---you will see ridiculous oversize womens' rosters just to meet a metric and many mens sports have taken hits because of it. I am not a fan of Title IX.--typical government overreach and hugely inflexible and bureaucratic. It has also been used as a threat to coerce colleges in other ways.
  • jmk518jmk518 Registered User Posts: 278 Junior Member
    The problem is that the money sports on the men's teams command so much that it is potentially impossible to balance that against the women's programs without reducing the men's equivalency teams. Title IX sets the requirement of equal opportunity, which I would hope nobody would challenge as unreasonable. The unfairness is a result of investing exorbitant resources on men's basketball, football, etc.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,199 Super Moderator
    Let's move on from debating the merits/shortcomings of Title IX, please.
    I was just explaining my comment "Title IX makes it much harder for males in general, across the board." Sorry for the digression.
  • iaparentiaparent Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    I didn't intend to send this down the title IX rabbit hole. I just wanted to point out that getting a "slot" can involve much more than just academic or athletic ability. Sometimes there are things behind the scenes that would cause an otherwise "recruitable" student athlete to not be a prospect at one school but very much a prospect at a better school. You have to cast a wide net sometimes.
2»