Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Senior grades and ED at Patriot League school-

19and2119and21 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
My daughter heard back from a school where she had a positive pre-read, but was told her senior year grades would be important back in July, went on an official visit, loved the school, went on two more OVs decided that was the school for her, called the coach to commit. The coach said they wanted to go back to admissions about the senior year grades. She just received an email that the admissions says that the senior year grades are very important and coach wants to know how her year is going (all A's so far). She has had several other pre-reads at more competitive NESCAC schools and senior year grades have never come up (she had one B Junior year and one B+, all the rest were As, 34 ACT). My concern is that the she is not a top recruit at this Patriot league school and this may be their way of steering her towards another school? She is going to speak to the coach later today, but I want to prepare her to ask some tough questions. Anyone have any experience with this?

Replies to: Senior grades and ED at Patriot League school-

• StartingblockStartingblock Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Your daughter sounds like a strong candidate for admission to most, perhaps all, Patriot League schools without coach’s support.

Perhaps the inquiry about senior year grades is to more accurately calculate your daughter’s academic index score to see if her strong stats can offset the “borderline” stats of another star recruit.

Obviously, just a guess.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 3,781 Senior Member
    If she has all A’s she’s going to be fine. Most Patriot league and NESCAC schools will ask for first quarter grades from ED applicants.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 22,246 Forum Champion
    edited October 10
    It may simply be that the policy of that particular school is to check first semester grades or that particular coach is more cautious (perhaps he/she had a recruit who really bombed out first semester senior year or HS and it became a problem with admissions). I would not read too much into it.

Congrats to your D -- she sounds like she is in a great position.
  • 19and2119and21 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Thank you for all of your comments. She still hasn't spoken to the coach, but is scheduled to after practice tonight. I checked the school (for the 10th time) on Naviance and according to the scattergram using kids from her high school, she is in an excellent place, compared to non-athletes who have applied ED. I have no idea where this is coming from, fingers crossed!
  • gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    Probably a bit too late, but I would ask: 1) how many recruits are told that senior year grades are critical; 2) where she is on the list of recruits; 3) how many recruits with a similar place on the list and with similar stats have been admitted in the past; 4) Is she guaranteed a roster place; 5) if she needs to try out, what is the coach's assessment of her chances to make the team; 6) what does the coach think her chances of admission are. Basically, you want to ask questions that will flesh out your concerns -- is she so low on the coaches list that she either wont get in or wont have a shot at a meaningful place on the team.