Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

So what actually happened with your swimmers?

2»

Replies to: So what actually happened with your swimmers?

• Wombat921Wombat921 Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    @southernmtdad This is a very powerful and inspiring story. Thank you for sharing!
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,059 Senior Member
    My DS represented Midd for 4 years, making the podium at NESCACs every year. He was happy never to have qualified for nationals because he had always had enough by the end of the season and wanted then the time to focus on his studies and enjoy other social activities!
    You also might want to look at my old thread-“Fess up, who is still competing? D1 vs. D3” from a few years ago-lots of insights...
  • planitplanit Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    I haven't been on here in months, so I haven't seen the request for an update and can't remember what I've posted about her before. My swimmer was never a candidate for a high-academic school. She chose the program that offered her a full ride and not the one that I thought was a better fit. She only took these two OVs and turned the rest down. All that said, she was not happy until pretty far into the first semester. She was hurt and not swimming well, she was shocked by how much drinking there was, and she felt like everyone had BFFs but her. I thought there was a good chance she wouldn't go back second semester, but somewhere around mid-November, she got happier (very happy) with the other girls. She did not, however, get happy with the coach or the medical care, and turned in her transfer request today. She actually swam her conference meet with a misdiagnosed injury. None of the girls swam well at conference, and the coach was an ass to them about it. She is banged up but not ready to be a swammer, so I hope she will end up somewhere next year that is a better fit.

My take-aways:
    1. We know TONS of kids, athletes and not, who are transferring schools after a semester or a year. Being an athlete doesn't seem to be the deciding factor.
    2. Don't let the medical staff at the athletic department be the only ones who have eyes on your kiddo. We got irritated with what seemed to be less-than-optimal care there and flew her home to see her sports med guy here. She was on the ground for 36 hours, and she got back on the plane with a diagnosis, a completed CT scan and a medical device.
    3. Even though this was not my first choice for her, we really couldn't have foreseen the issues that turned out to be issues. Ending up with a bad fit is not necessarily anyone's fault. Sometimes it just is.
    4. My swimmer was not prepared for the heavy drinking that is part of the team culture. We could have prepared her better for that. She eventually found friends who were willing to do something besides drink, and her drinking friends found things to do her besides drink, so it worked out, but she was lonely until it did.
  • AcersaccharumAcersaccharum Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    @planit Thanks so much for chiming in, you’ve given lots of great insight to me and many others I’m sure. So sorry for the disappointments, but glad to hear your swimmer is making adjustments. Life does throw curve balls! Hope she ends up somewhere great!

My D is also not high academic, she is also not high D1 fast, so it was hard to get applicable advice on CC, but I was able to glean enough to help ease her recruitment process at mid-D3. She has chosen a D3 we feel really great about after a tour/visit and a recruiting trip. She also struggles with some overuse injuries, so we’ll be keeping close tabs on services she gets. I must say , I’ve always thought (hoped) that swimming in college would mean an instant network of friends and that it would help a lot when being far from home. I guess the message here is to always keep “eyes wide open” for culture/inclusion/fit.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,880 Senior Member
    My daughter was a D2 athlete at a school that was a good academic fit, a really good athletic fit (although we did't know that at the time since it was a new team), and a fantastic financial fit.

There was a lot of drama on the team, and since most of the freshmen share suites, it was on and off the field. Even so, it seemed everyone on the team did have a smaller group of friends from the team and some fun to be had with the whole group
  • VMTVMT Registered User Posts: 1,198 Senior Member
    @planit I’m sorry things haven’t worked out at your daughter’s school. I hope she can find a better situation.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    @planit Thank you for relaying your story. Get the swimming pun? Dad joke.

I think often here on CC you only hear about the perfect situations for athletes or near perfect. I think a story like this one helps the people understand the possibilities when you are a college athlete. There are plenty of hardships and some folks that end up changing the plan.

Kids and parents have to understand things can happen while playing college athletics.
  • LivesinHobbitonLivesinHobbiton Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    @Wombat921 I'm coming into this very late! I didn't get a notification or anything and I just randomly happened to come back into the forum today and see this post. I very much appreciate everyone's updates. I have four kids, two of them were recruited for high school class of 2013 and 2015, the younger two are being recruited right now for class of 2019. Things have changed a bit with the NCAA rules allowing much earlier coach contact. Juniors are committing right now, and overall I think this is awful. Junior year is hard enough without adding recruitment stress to the picture. If you are not interested in a high academic school, then maybe it's fine. But for my kids, the pressure of ACTs, AP exams, hard classes, swim practice/meets, etc. was bad enough without dealing with the onslaught of coach contacts and doing D1 officials.

Regarding my two older kids, my '13 daughter went NESCAC, loved it, had a great 4 years and still managed to row, play water polo, be in clubs, and graduate with high honors. She's currently a phd student at U Chicago. My '15 son chose to row at an Ivy, although he was also doing NESCAC swim recruiting. Again, it was a great choice for him. He's graduating next week with high honors, rowed for four years, has a great job lined up, etc. I think in terms of swimming, D3 won here. My son would not have been nearly as happy if he had chosen to swim D1, IMO. Swimming culture is so much more stressful than rowing. If he had wanted to swim, he would have done D3 for sure.

My two younger kids are twins. One has narrowed down her choices to Ivy or a top D3. The other is almost certainly going NESCAC. The main dilemma for the one who is looking at Ivies is the D1 swim culture. I cannot say enough about how wonderful D3 is. If you want to go abroad and if you are hoping to have non-athlete friends, D3 is your best shot. Ivy is not too bad, but it's still D1. My son found it challenging to make non-athlete friends because the athletes are together all the time, and while he did go abroad he had to do it during the summer.

I hope this run-down is helpful! We're still in the thick of it and I can't wait to be done!
  • Wombat921Wombat921 Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    @LivesinHobbiton It is so helpful to hear your story. You make a strong case for considering D3 swimming. Thank you!
  • tiempocompletotiempocompleto Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    This is all so helpful—thank you to everyone. We don’t know yet about college swim, but I do have a rising junior and a busy year ahead. Couple questions:

The recruitment questionnaire, Is there any point in filling it out if 1) student has yet to take standardized tests? 2) student doesn’t yet have times in line with slowest on team? Or only has them in one event, for example?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,880 Senior Member
    Yes, you can fill out the questionnaires without test scores.
  • AcersaccharumAcersaccharum Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    @tiempocompleto We just had a college recruiting talk at our club and they encourage the kids to go ahead and fill out the questionnaires, then follow up with a simple swim resume. My D19 filled them out before having scores in place and as time went on, she just updated Coaches with new information via email.