right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

So what actually happened with your swimmers?

Wombat921Wombat921 18 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
I've really appreciated all the wisdom shared on this site around the reality of college swim recruiting, but many of you posted several years ago when you were in the thick of the process.

I want to know what really happened?

Did your predictions work out? What were the surprises? What would you share to those now beginning the process? Thoughts on D1 vs. D3?

I would love to learn from your collective experience @Researchmum @SwimDad99 @swimdogmom @acemom @Lovemyswimmer @1HappyDad @swim4school @Hastomen123 @ahsmuoh @LivesinHobbiton @VMT @jmtabb @fleishmo6 @planit

Thank you in advance!
28 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: So what actually happened with your swimmers?

• jmtabbjmtabb 199 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    edited January 2
    I updated in one of my original posts. Daughter is c/o 2019, and was accepted EA to her “dream school” (D3). Looking forward to swimming next year, and very happy that the pressure of admissions and recruiting is now done for her. We continue to be impressed with the program, the coaches, the current teammates who have been in touch, and the school overall.

I think my daughter was in contact with 6 or 7 schools, mostly D3 level. Several didn’t follow up much after her initial contact. One DI coach asked us to call and then treated my daughter as if she was “nothing special” (despite her tippy top academics and test scores, and swim times that would have made her one of the two fastest flyers on their team). I still think that school could have been a great match for her but she wouldn’t even consider it after that conversation.

A few things we’ve learned along the way from our journey so far and those of our teammates:

For the superstars, the emphasis seems to be shifting somewhat to junior year for OV’s and verbal commitments. For the rest of us fall of senior year is still when it’s happening.

If looking at a D3, know that how much pull a coach has varies wildly, and even with a positive pre-read and full coach support admissions can still say “no”. It was a rough 6 weeks waiting for admissions decisions for us (my daughter’s EA school has among the more limited coach influence for admissions) but decision day was pretty sweet (and it all went down at a swim meet even).

The lesser selective schools and teams could still be adding kids to their roster in the spring. We know of two kids who made commitments to swim D1 in April/May of last year and are thriving at their chosen schools. Athletic money may be harder to come by at that point but it’s still not out of the question.

For us, “fit” was everything. My daughter would have rather not continued swimming if she couldn’t find a program that felt like a good fit for her. I think she’s chosen well. But finding the right schools where we think she’d be happy academically and athletically was a lot of work. My persnickety kid even had decided that she would only consider swim teams that wore black swim caps at one point !! (And yes, the top two schools both have black caps).

Happy to answer more questions here or by PM. I’m still in a bit of disbelief that my kid has ended up with an acceptance at the one school she has said she wanted to attend since she was little.
    edited January 2
    · Reply · Share
  • Wombat921Wombat921 18 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    @VMT Thanks so much for this insight. Your point about the time commitment is extremely helpful. Congrats to your daughter!
    · Reply · Share
  • Wombat921Wombat921 18 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    @jmtabb Love the black cap story! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post.
    · Reply · Share
  • VMTVMT 1182 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,198 Senior Member
    A few more things - I always told my daughter she is one injury away from
    never swimming again, so be sure to pick a school she could enjoy without swimming.

She did not apply to any Nescac schools. She was interested in engineering and thought other schools were a better fit. The schools she applied to did not require an ED application. Her stats were good enough that I don’t think she really needed coach support, though she had it. (It might have helped with one school.) She was told at all the schools that the coaches make a list of their recruits in order of level of support/ team need, and the list is handed over to admissions. I got the impression they could try to tip a no to a yes, but they weren’t always successful. My D observed this at her school - a strong recruit was rejected and the coach couldn’t budge admissions. So, it’s hard to tell just how much influence they have.

Her merit scholarship offers varied quite a bit, with Case Western being the highest and RPI being the lowest. The sticker price was approximately the same for all the schools she applied to. The process was much simpler for her compared to having to choose which school to use your ED on. So I can’t offer any insight into the more complex situations.
    · Reply · Share
  • fleishmo6fleishmo6 546 replies28 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 574 Member
    I agree totally with all of the posters above @kjs1992 has a great list.
    Once the decision is made and if ED1 is selected as others said make sure you let the coaches know of your decision.
    I had my boys in the email ask the coaches if it would be okay to reach back out if ED1 did not pan out at the first choice school. Between both of my sons, only one coach did not have a very positive response.
    The family atmosphere and immediate group of friends makes college life so much easier and more enjoyable when being on a team. Both my boys went ED1 and swam for a NESCAC school. The amount of school work is substantial but manageable and the coaches know that academics come first. My son is on a flight home from Florida from his training trip, so his life is good.
    Just went through my youngest daughters college recruiting choice and hope her selection works out as much as her older brothers.
    Best of luck
    · Reply · Share
    @kjs1992 I'm so glad things are going well for your son. Your comments are extremely thoughtful! Thanks for sharing.
    · Reply · Share
    @fleishmo6 and others....it really does seem that many swimmers enjoy the NESCAC experience!
    · Reply · Share
    Wow! This is such a thoughtful narrative. I'm so glad the process worked out well for your son @RecruitedSwimmer.
    · Reply · Share
    One question I have about Ivy League swimming is around balance. Can anyone comment on the swim/school balance, particularly in the current era of such fast swimming? Can swimmers excel academically or are they struggling to keep afloat given the swim schedule? How does this differ across the various Ivy League schools?
    · Reply · Share
  • ASKMotherASKMother 186 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    Thanks @Wombat921 for asking this! I have often wondered the same. My son is considering swimming in college and I'm wanting to make certain before he goes all in that he knows what he's getting into for his college days. Knowing more about what it is like balancing classwork, team duties and meets (plus just learning how to adult!) will help him make this decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom 1588 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,596 Senior Member
    ^^this is a great story!
    · Reply · Share