Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Nonrecruited Crew- Admissions Boost?

perspicaperspica Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
Hey all, 5'5 130 lb girl here.
I recently started rowing, but I figure as a current junior it's definitely too late for recruitment. I'm like, really new, so I don't have a 2k time yet either. If I'm unrecruited, would crew as an EC still give a boost, given an otherwise strong application (top 2%, 1550+ SAT, leadership and awards for various EC's)? I'm short but pretty athletic; swam varsity in middle school and as a freshmen, but quit (still kept in shape and tbh got in way better shape running every morning and weightlifting at night), and from what I can gather, given the need for "promising" rowers, a swimming past and height can be boosts (no height here though :( ).

Replies to: Nonrecruited Crew- Admissions Boost?

• perspicaperspica Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Additionally- the program I am with is very good (produced national champs and many kids go Ivy/Stanford) if "rep" matters, and would my strong academics (1560 SAT and 102 GPA with rig courseload) help?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,994 Senior Member
    edited April 14
    The general rule is if you aren't recruited, the sport counts as an EC just like other ECs.. Whether an EC is a boost is up to the school. Usually, the school wants to see ALL applicants have interests, not just academics. Those ECs can be athletics, music, art, volunteering, etc.

It is NOT too late to be recruited, but you need to get 2k times.
    edited April 14
    @twoinanddone Ok, ty! I will eventually get a 2k and actually have my first regatta this week; my coach is just really.. conservative with who is able to do a 2k test? Last time she did tests she didn’t have any of the new kids do a test, anyone who had been sick the past month, or anyone who hadn’t been to practice much. It was out of concern for health; she won’t let us outside for a jog without a sweatshirt if its under like 65 degrees haha.
  • mom2jgdmom2jgd Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    You could be recruited as a lightweight even if your high school doesn't have enough lightweight rowers to fill a lightweight boat. Most lightweight programs are at highly selective D1 schools (google it), so yes, it will help with admissions. Additionally, D3 programs recruit short rowers!

Reinforcing what others have said: It's not too late to be recruited.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,994 Senior Member
    Most lightweight programs are at highly selective D1 schools (google it), so yes, it will help with admissions.

the original question was would it help with admissions if she WASN'T a recruit. I still think it will not. It's not too late to be recruited, but just putting 'rowing' on an application won't help in admissions.
  • Shiprock1976Shiprock1976 Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    Just being realistic here. It's not too late but it is still very late. As a lightweight woman rower, OP would need roughly a 7:30 2K by early to mid summer to get meaningful attention from top lightweight programs. That's a hard metric for even a top athlete switching from another sport to meet in a such short amount of time. D3 is a different story but I am not sure what they have for lightweight programs.
    @Shiprock1976 Ok thanks, I had just assumed it was way too late. I don't really think I'm that much of an exceptional athlete, so I've pretty much accepted that I won't be recruited, but I'm still going to give it my best and continue over the summer. Who knows, we'll see how I do.