Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help me read the tea leaves

Replies to: Help me read the tea leaves

• cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    "The way I look at it, we only have one shot to get this right and I’d hate to reflect back on the process in three years and be left with the impression we started too late."

Exactly! This is the source of a lot of my stress! That said, this thread has calmed me down quite a bit. I do think that once the overtures (possibly more than once) are made the ball is really in the coaches' court.

As for the stories of last minute scrambles, I know they happen. One of my older sons didn't do club soccer but was a very serious goalkeeper. A coach saw him and reached out in Nov/Dec of my son's senior year. Clearly his first (and second and third . . .) goalkeeper fell through. That school was one of my son's reach schools, and at the top of his list. And yes, my son is playing for them today.

However I can take virtually nothing away from that experience as he didn't go through the normal recruiting process.

I am looking forward to the day when I can help parents after me, there is such a learning curve!
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,481 Forum Champion
    Well said @Midwestmomofboys. Could not agree more
  • lucky18lucky18 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    "I am looking forward to the day when I can help parents after me, there is such a learning curve!"

@cinnamon1212 - as a parent of e freshman boy soccer player, you've already helped me just by starting this thread, so thanks!

There seems to be a small but regular group of fellow soccer parents who frequent the "Athletic Recruits" subtopic - grateful for their advice so far and looking forward to learning from them all going forward.
    @lucky18 Thanks! I can pass this on -- the one book that I've found most helpful is THE ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP PLAYBOOK by Jon Fugler. You can skim it in about 15 minutes, and it just takes all the advice that's scattered throughout message boards etc and puts it in one place with an action plan and concrete steps. The advice in the book applies to any college recruiting, not just D1 scholarship seekers (I don't love the title!)

Anyway, that's about all I can offer right now! :-)
  • lucky18lucky18 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    @cinnamon1212 Thank you - I will definitely check out that book. Having a solid action plan, in writing, to give my son will be helpful. I just finished the college app process with DD19 and I am determined to make sure DS22 takes more ownership of the process than she did, for both of our sakes.

I've actually heard of the book's author - he has a podcast that I've listened to as well, called "The Athletic Scholarship Podcast." It's really heavy on promotion for his programs, with some helpful nuggets interspersed. Seems like biting the bullet and just buying his book would be time better spent!
    Ok so here's another related question: my son got an email from another D1, not inviting him to a camp. Here's the full text: "Dear Future Soccer Player, We want to know more about you! If you are a current sophomore or younger, please fill out our camp questionnaire (link). It has to be a camp questionnaire and not recruiting questionnaire due to NCAA regulations!

If you are a current Junior or Senior, please fill out our recruiting questionnaire, here is the link"

So -- of course it's a mass email, but is it sent to tens of thousands of kids (every kid ever registered at a tournament eg) or does it indicate some very minimal level of interest? Surely this school isn't wanting 20,000 useless questionnaires, or am I kidding myself? I am just wondering if it means my son is in the very big pool of kids they are initially considering for his year.

I know all, theoretically, will be revealed June 15, but as I said up thread, I am impatient!
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,481 Forum Champion
    I think you are kidding yourself. The initial mass e mails are just that. A hook in the water to see what kind of bites they get. My guess would be that they are trying to get kids to fill out questionnaires so that they can have a database they can go back to when they start thinking about specific kids.
    Darn! 😄
  • Smileyface1Smileyface1 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @cinnamon1212

Ohjodad51 is correct. It IS a mass email. They want kids who are interested in their school to contact them and then they weed through the questionaires when future repeated contact is made.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    And they want the freshmen and sophomores to attend their camp. And pay to attend the camps.
    Well you have to give them points for ingenuity! My son's got probably hundreds of camp invites, and none asking him only to fill out a recruiting questionnaire. So it's more attention getting than the usual email.

Thanks for helping me read the tea leaves!

• dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    Yep, this is different than before. The fact that they don't know what class he is in is kinda of a give away I think. Clearly not personal.

As an aside, we had one coach that kept sending emails to S, that were clearly meant for kids in the class ahead of him. S kept him on our list because it was a great school, but it was pretty annoying.
  • GKUnionGKUnion Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    Ok so here's another related question: my son got an email from another D1, not inviting him to a camp. Here's the full text: "Dear Future Soccer Player, We want to know more about you! If you are a current sophomore or younger, please fill out our camp questionnaire (link). It has to be a camp questionnaire and not recruiting questionnaire due to NCAA regulations!

If you are a current Junior or Senior, please fill out our recruiting questionnaire, here is the link"

So -- of course it's a mass email, but is it sent to tens of thousands of kids (every kid ever registered at a tournament eg) or does it indicate some very minimal level of interest? Surely this school isn't wanting 20,000 useless questionnaires, or am I kidding myself? I am just wondering if it means my son is in the very big pool of kids they are initially considering for his year.

I know all, theoretically, will be revealed June 15, but as I said up thread, I am impatient!

My son got the same email on Thursday. I thought it was a decent strategy on their part.
  • epbct16epbct16 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello - I also have a 2021 player. We've definitely gotten emails like the initial one @cinnamon1212 shared, and I believe it's another level of email that acknowledges prior contact but is also not truly "personalized." I suspect my S and your S are of similar capabilities and in similarly competitive clubs, with similar academic credentials, and my take on the process at this point is that if your S can really hone in on maybe 12-15 schools where he can see himself culturally and academically and also soccer-wise (i.e., competitive for his level), and then really keep at it from a communication perspective, that will help him stay top-of-mind when and if spots fitting his profile open up. They may or may not open up of course, but this is the category of player that has to be strategic and patient. :) I would encourage him not to be distracted by all the "squirrels" and instead really figure out how to be a strong recruit (first choice or otherwise) for his top choices. I'd also consult the club coach sooner rather than later - it's not too early, and they should be able to give you a general impression at this point. My D was probably in the same category, and she ended up at a top NESCAC school and is very happy both with soccer and with the school.