Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NCAA APR calculation for men's basketball

ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
being the stats guy that I am, I still can't figure out how the APR calculation works exactly. On the NCAA website, it says that for each recruit that gets aid, you get one point for remaining on the team and one point for being eligible. Divide the number of points by total number of points possible, multiply by 1000, and that's your APR. Yet when I look at the University of Kentucky, which has multiple players leave every year for the NBA, their APR is 1000 every year for the last 4 years. What am I missing here?

Also, there is a threshold of 930, but it seems to me that if you have even 2 players leave for transfer purposes, you are under 930 (24 divided by (13 x 2)). What am I missing here?

Replies to: NCAA APR calculation for men's basketball

• Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 1,795 Senior Member
    edited May 14
    It's a four year average.

Are you only including recruits who get athletic aid? DI Basketball is a headcount sport so only 13 guys max get athletic aid, no partials.

Each scholarship player can earn two points per semester - one for staying in school, one for staying eligible. So if 10 scholarship players, there would be 40 points max for the year.

NCAA allows APR adjustments---not good transparency with regard to this

Players who have left who return for degrees (and no longer play their sport) positively impact APR (earn team points for being in school, even though they aren't on the team)
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    @Mwfan1921 I’m just trying to figure out how Kentucky can have a perfect score when they have 3 to 5 players leave every year. Actually doing the reverse math it seems like any other team that loses more than 1 player will get a big hit on the APR, such as Duke. I can see a small percentage of the players coming back to get their degree but not many.
    The players who leave to the nba just get replaced by new athletes who are enrolled and eligible, no? There is no apr penalty for losing a guy to the nba. Transfers to another school do lose a point, but if the player’s GPA was at least 2.6, the original team can get that point back thru the NCAA adjustment process.
    I think these are the most recent adjustment rules. http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018_19 COA Policies and Procedures.pdf

Leaving for the NBA does lose a retention point, but the school can get that back via the adjustment process, same as for transfers >2.6 GPA.