Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When to commit in Ivy recruiting process?

Replies to: When to commit in Ivy recruiting process?

• fencingmomfencingmom Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    @throwersmom -- Congrats!! I don't know what sport your son plays, but it really isn't too early to commit. His application will be submitted early fall (4 months away!), and a LL will come shortly thereafter. One thing to think about might be if you son's academic stats (GPA, board scores) are within the range of what the school accepts or if the coach (who is familiar with and confident about the stats needed) thinks your son's stats are fine. This could be the only hang-up, because while the coach and athlete might be aligned, it is ultimately the AO who admits the student.
  • throwersmomthrowersmom Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    We will definitely be contingent on the fa read matching or being in the neighborhood as the estimate.
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    Congratulations! Very exciting :-)
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,477 Forum Champion
    It feels very early but I don’t think it will get any clearer than this

I think this is a key point. When my son was struggling with whether to commit (late June/early July before senior year in his case) a conversation with a high school teammate really clarified things for him. That teammate told him that if he was sure he would pick the school he was contemplating over every other school recruiting him, then there was no point in waiting. I think that was good advice then and remains so. The key though is whether your son is really sure this is the school he wants. In my son's case, he had visited several schools multiple times, and eventually one became his clear first choice. When that crystallized in his own mind, he committed.

The fact is that no matter how long you delay the commitment decision, there is going to be a leap of faith where you ad your son have to trust the coach and the process at the school. Your son is going to have to, at some point, tell other coaches that he likes and who want him that he intends to go somewhere else. In the Ivy this is an even scarier event because you are not only worrying about the coach moving on from your son for a more favored athlete but you have to sweat the likely letter process as well. There is really no way around that, because it is highly unlikely your son is going to receive a likely letter without a firm commitment to attend if admitted. Best of luck.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,440 Senior Member
    Agree with the final paragraph of post #20 by @dadof4kids. If you are certain that this is your first choice school, then it might be smart to commit early so the coach doesn't view recruiting for this particular position or talent a priority any longer this admissions cycle. Otherwise, the coach might find someone with better qualifications.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,856 Senior Member
    But if your acceptance is dependent on FA review, I think you have to wait before telling other schools you are committed to this school. You can commit as long as the coach knows you can only accept if the money is there
  • RightCoasterRightCoaster Registered User Posts: 2,867 Senior Member
    I visited 4 Ivy Schools with my kid and he was invited to several track and field open houses which happened during the summer before senior year. We were told the process was very fluid during the summer and that if the coach wanted the kid they would be informed early September, the kid would need to submit a formal application immediately after that notification and you would get a likely letter in October if I remember correctly. Before my kid was invited to the Open Houses he was asked to submit all test scores, transcript info and senior year schedule. At the Open House there are financial aid people there and you can meet with them and get their contact info so you can deal directly with them regarding aid. They all claimed to be fairly generous with aid, to those that truly showed need. But they aren’t going to be “extra generous” with aid towards an athlete, and there are no merit awards or scholarships.
    Anyways, for a variety of reasons my kid did not end up at an Ivy.
  • noanswersnoanswers Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    Our experience from our kid's sport was the Ivy coaches all wanted to start from the top ranked athletes for the 2 spots they had to fill. Each told us to commit verbally as soon as we can so that they can move on to the next athlete. Fortunately for us our son's first choice school offered a verbal commitment so the decision for him to commit was an easy one. Only dilemma was whether he was going to pass the preread in July, since this particular school had the higher mandated AI that the other schools. Since it was only in March that he committed, the final GPA and SATs were not available. Fortunately, it all worked out well in the end.
  • recruitparentrecruitparent Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    For what it's worth, chiming in again as have experience track recruiting. My kid was recruited by top Ivy's as well as other top D1 schools and Top Academic Schools. This was a few yrs. ago so just before twitter became the means for students/parents tweeting out their verbal offers; plus we were knew to recruiting and saying we had an offer was never our goal. In fact we preferred to keep it quiet and just between family and the schools/coaches we were talking too.
    That said, I don't recall receiving any "verbal or written offer" from the Ivy's. We received phone calls, letters, emails stating we think you'd be a great fit, please visit, we'd like you to apply in the fall..... Some coaches came to the house, said was the #1 recruit but my child was still deciding on the best fit & school plus financial was a factor on our side...so we showed strong sincere interest from our end of course but not early commitment. Also no verbal or written offer that I recall from an Ivy but in the fall were still told #1 recruit and to just say the word and a likely letter would be sent.
    The schools told us they would like a commitment in the fall and did pressure but not until the fall. And that is what I recall from other athletes too.
    So if 100% certain, "verbally commit" now is fine and and may be a good idea but I would keep it a little quiet on social media (just my opinion) and understand fall is still fine for committing.
    Separate topic but I do have a little bit of an issue and am skeptical at times of all the "verbal offers & verbal commitments" that get tweeted out there by families; especially for athletes that are only Fresh/Soph with Ivy's as well as other top D1 schools.
    With the Ivys, the Likely Letters are only given by the admissions committee after a formal evaluation starting in mid September after a completed college application is submitted by the student, which include LORs and all test scores. The coaches are only committing to offering a recruitment spot that will lead to a LL. After the coach and our son decided to mutually commit to one another in their on campus meeting in March of his junior year, our son was told to send an email to the coach that he would like to formally accept his offer of recruitment. The coach then reciprocated with a similar email. This was our formal "unofficial" "verbal" commitment.
    In regards to "broadcasting" the commitment on social medial, he was told to refrain from doing so until the Likely Letter has been officially offered by the admissions committee in October of his senior year.
  • politepersonpoliteperson Registered User Posts: 258 Junior Member
    ^ @noanswers was this in Track and Field or a different sport? The reason I ask is that track has always been a late-committing sport, especially for boys. Unless something has changed in the last six months, a spring commitment of the sort you describe is pretty rare in Ivy track. I wouldn’t want future track recruits to get the idea that they need to make decisions in May. For the most part they don’t. Most coaches are still waiting on state meet and nationals results before prioritizing recruits. Possibly the rules changes will accelerate things but personally I haven’t seen evidence of that.
    @politeperson Not T&F, but a much smaller niche sport, only recruiting average of 5 athletes a year (both sexes combined). It is the top athletes for the Ivys and powerhouse Div 1 have already committed mid Spring of their junior year, but majority of the athletes in his sports will be meeting with coaches during the early summer and receiving their commitments. As in your example, depending the sports the timeline would be different.
    In my son's sport, the HYPC have usually spent their recruitment slots before the summer preread. So it is is very rare for the coach to be offering a spot to someone during the Fall of senior year.
  • TanbikoTanbiko Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    edited May 22
    If your kid's attendance depends on FinAid he should not commit but request a financial pre-read from all Ivy schools that seriously recruit him and save all communications with all others. Not only they will match each other's offers, some of them may generate financial pre-read matching expected offer from the better endowed schools. The coaches will understand and you do not need to commit to receive a FinAid pre-read.

Commitment announcements seems to depend on the coach. My kid's coach said not to say a word to anyone until you had a physical LL in your hands. When you commit it is a good form to let other coaches know if you are sitting on multiple chairs. In our case we actually knew other athletes who were looking at the same chairs and were called the next day.
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 639 Member
    edited May 23
    Whether it is announced on social media or not, if you verbally commit to a coach you need to let the other coaches recruiting you what your status is. The typical response S received was that if anything changed, they were still interested so let them know.

It is a small world when it comes to high academics athletic recruiting. They all know each other. If you commit to one program but aren't honest about it with another, you could end up losing them both.