right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

When to commit in Ivy recruiting process?

throwersmomthrowersmom 5 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7 New Member
My son has received an offer from an Ivy coach with the understanding that he will apply by September 1. His index is 221.
When is the right time to make a decision and let the other schools know?
36 replies
· Reply · Share
«13

Replies to: When to commit in Ivy recruiting process?

  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1175 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,179 Senior Member
    Congrats. Does he have other schools he would rather attend and are still waiting to hear from? You are in the driver's seat now and there is no reason to make a decision until Sept 1 if that was the coach's condition for support/slot. If there are schools that are just out of the running now (assume possible aid/scholarship not a factor), it would be courteous to tell those coaches that he is out for them. I am sure they would appreciate that. The high academic athletic world is small.
    · Reply · Share
  • throwersmomthrowersmom 5 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7 New Member
    He has a top three for sure. I will encourage him to tell the ones where he definitely won't be attending. If he decides on attending the one with the Sept 1 deadline should he verbally commit when he begins the application process, around Aug 1, or sooner?
    · Reply · Share
  • ASKMotherASKMother 186 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    I don't have an answer to your specific question as I'm just following the recruiting threads. I have a rising freshman (swimmer) and am wanting to be prepared if/when S23 gets the nod. However from what I can tell from reading all these threads you have to ask yourself the 3Fs... Is the school/offer in your Financial range? Is it a FIt for him - both the team and the School (if he wasn't playing his sport would he still like that college environment)? And does it work with his Future (does it have the best program for what he wants to major in, good help with internships, job opportunities strong after college, etc) If all those factors are positive I would assume commit early and claim your spot. But I have no experience with knowing anything about index or how competitive your son's sport is or if you should wait and weigh in other offers. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • politepersonpoliteperson 256 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    Personally, I would not commit until after official visits to the top few choices. Most of the Ivy track coaches are fairly low pressure and host visits in mid September and early October, with most athletes committing after those visits. I’ve heard Harvard sometimes presses for earlier commitments but I don’t have personal experience with them (none of the Ivy track athletes I know had any interest in that program). One thing I’d be sure of before committing is whether the coach is offering full support. If so, and the coach is threatening to pull that support after Sept 1, then you’ll have to weigh what other options your son has. You should have a very good sense by August of how much interest other Ivy programs have, and you can decide what to do at that point.
    · Reply · Share
  • recruitparentrecruitparent 37 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    We have experience with Ivy track including Harvard as well as other top Academic Schools & track programs. I would keep in close communication with the coaches and unless the student and family were 100%+ sure, I would not commit until after an Official Visit (which is common and understood by the coaches) And also make 100% sure that the coach is providing full support with a Likely Letter being promised upon your commitment.
    We were at an official visit over an Oct weekend which included invited parents and I know of 1 athlete/family that this school was their top choice and they were told then by the coach that they would not be giving them full support/Likely Letter. They wanted them to apply on their own, get in, run track...but were not the #1 recruit in their event(s) so no Likely Letter promised, at least as this time.
    · Reply · Share
  • throwersmomthrowersmom 5 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7 New Member
    We have an offer of "100% full support" from the track coach. We are pretty sure this is my son's top choice but just unsure about the timeline since this has come earlier than expected.
    · Reply · Share
  • EUgirlEUgirl 9 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12 New Member
    edited May 18
    Congratulations! What is his graduation year? I think every sport is little different in timeline with Ivy’s. I would ask the coach. Our older student was just admitted to play at Stanford.
    edited May 18
    · Reply · Share
  • EUgirlEUgirl 9 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Not Ivy’s but has similar recruiting requirements and timeline.
    · Reply · Share
  • politepersonpoliteperson 256 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    One thought on communicating commitments: I would wait until I was as certain as I could be that things will work out at the first choice school before informing other coaches. To me, as certain as can be means at the very least a positive pre read from admissions, a FA pre read that works for the family, and an absolute commitment from the coach for support that will result in a likely letter within a few weeks of applying. The first two can’t happen until July at the earliest (at Ivies). Coaches are lining up OVs through the summer and don’t expect most recruits to commit until fall anyway. If there’s a school that you absolutely don’t see as an option, just politely decline the OV and mention that you’re focused on other schools right now but will circle back if those don’t work out. There’s no point halting communication with potential options until you’re sure (coaches are doing the same thing btw, talking to far more athletes than they’ll invite to OV, and inviting more to OV than they’ll support).
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 21937 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21,951 Senior Member
    Are you planning on getting a financial aid pre-read on July 1? I'd wait until that came back (and from the other schools too if FA is necessary).

    Just be honest with all the coaches. Tell them he's still considering other schools, that his acceptance is dependent on FA, that he just isn't sure...The coaches understand that it's a big decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • recruitparentrecruitparent 37 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    I agree with politeperson and others that I would wait until I was as certain as I could be that things will work out with the 1st choice before telling other schools.
    I would wait until after the OV and you had the likely letter in hand. I would not intentionally mislead other coaches but we wanted to be 100% sure before letting other coaches know. If you flip it around, coaches do the same thing.
    Ivy OV are not until Fall of Sr. Yr. so you have a little time and could start finding out and setting up OV dates.
    · Reply · Share
  • EUgirlEUgirl 9 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Our older student considered Ivy’s and was being recruited by few including Harvard and Princeton. We did not move to the next step. But it seems some schools require to be early admitted before publicly announcing the commitment. It seems it depends on sport and school.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 1836 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,859 Senior Member
    edited May 19
    But it seems some schools require to be early admitted before publicly announcing the commitment.

    I haven't heard of this, but could be. Generally, the timing of communications and when they attend a signing ceremony is driven by the student athlete. Typically some D3 and IVY recruits (none of whom actually sign LOIs) will go to the first national signing day in November, but they do not have their admission decision yet. And we know that some recruits don't get admitted (e.g, 14% of Harvard recruits who 'committed to the process' did not get accepted, which is from the lawsuit data). So some D3 and Ivy recruits sit out the signing ceremonies until they have their actual admission in hand, not just the knowledge that they are a tagged/slotted/recruited athlete.

    D19 was in this group that waited, as she didn't want to 'jinx' anything while waiting for her EDI admission results. Many of her friends (all waiting for ED/REA/SCEA results) did the same, and just went to their school's second big signing day in April.
    edited May 19
    · Reply · Share
  • fencingmomfencingmom 119 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    @throwersmom Good communication with a prospective coach is vital. If an offer is out on the table, you need to address it with the coach -- if you haven't done your due diligence with other schools, say that and then give a reasonable timeframe of when you'll be able to accept or decline the spot the coach is offering. If you have done your diligence and want to mull over options, then say that and then give a reasonable time frame of when you will get back to the coach with your decision. If you want to leverage the current offer for another prospective offer, that's okay too. But there is something to be said for a coach who shows his hand first, especially if you've had a few circling about for a while. It is a courtesy to everyone involved, including other recruits who are playing this unwitting game of musical chairs, to be upfront and transparent.

    Congratulations on having these options! Good luck with the decisions.
    · Reply · Share
  • throwersmomthrowersmom 5 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7 New Member
    We are visiting the school today and tomorrow and have a written offer of full support. It acknowledges that it is too early in the calendar for the likely letter but that it will follow October 1 and he will attend an ov in the fall. He LOVES this school so I think we will allow him to verbally commit tomorrow when we meet with the coach. It feels very early but I don’t think it will get any clearer than this.
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity