Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Betting on a sports scholarship to pay for kids' college? Don't

Replies to: Betting on a sports scholarship to pay for kids' college? Don't

• anon145anon145 Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    edited May 21
    @Ohiodad51 I agree that number seems weird but it's what "admisssions expert" @Dave_Berry posted. IF true it's better statistical odds than applying to a T30 school that people chase a lot on CC. However, yes personally playing a sport and expecting a scholarship is insane. And fencing has >80% high school fencers, fence in college (I think that's the highest rate)

And yes - I used revenue sport incorrectly - I meant sports that have lots of revenue for pros. Baseball has a lot of money for the pros (like 300$ million dollars for 10 year contracts). And yes, if you can hit 90 mph as a pitcher professional scouts will come to regular high school baseball games anywhere in the US. kids now just use twitter to advertise their pitching speeds. "bumping" 90 more than once in a game is very, very rare. If any of you have a kid in your school district that throws 90MPH + multiple times a game check out an inning; the amount of resources major league baseball spends on scouting is amazing. Baseball players can go pro after high school something that no other US sport really does currently. It's quite a difference watching olympic sports where often parents are the only ones in the stands. Seeing 8 grown men diligently charting every pitch some 16/17 year old throws and travels the country looking for those kids often at high schools is something to ponder.

but yes you better have a natural gift (like being a 6'6'' female volleyball player or 6'10'' basketball male player to expect a scholarship.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,856 Senior Member
    And yet my 5'2" kid got a scholarship.
  • chelsea465chelsea465 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    @BKSquared, absolutely correct. DS got way more in FinAid than he would have anywhere else for athletics. Luckily, CC clued me in on this when he was still in high school. THANKS CC! You would think the kid might keep this to himself considering it kind of broadcasts the family financial situation, but he told me the other day that no one can believe how little we pay. :blush:
  • GKUnionGKUnion Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    S22 is currently a strong player in an interesting environment. He is the second youngest player on his club team. Three of his teammates have already committed to D1 programs as juniors. Every class of 2019 player on the team the next age group above is committed to a college program, from top 15 D1s to more local D1s as well as Ivies, NESCACs and top D3s.

At no point have I ever expected he’ll earn a scholarship. Am I hopeful that he’ll earn a roster spot at a school he’d love to attend? Of course, but I don’t expect that to happen either.

The next 24-36 months will be interesting for him. Next year, as a sophomore, he will continue to watch current teammates commit in their junior year as well as former teammates that moved up a year that are seniors. As you might expect, none of the parents are forthcoming about scholarships in general. They certainly don’t discuss any financial information.

I’ve never really asked him if he thinks he’ll earn a scholarship. I’m certain he expects to play in college though. I’ll ask him his thoughts on the way home from practice tonight.

I’m just along for the ride when you get right down to it. I simply hope he stays healthy and continues to work as hard in school as he does on the field.

edited May 22
    Men's soccer only has 9.9 scholarships compared to women's 14. also there are hundreds of more D1 girls soccer teams than men's. Men's soccer for D1 is brutally competitive. Some top programs also take internationals much more so in men's game (although FSU women (and more recently UNC) does it in women's).
  • nhparent9nhparent9 Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    What the maximum roster size for Men's D1 soccer? I think it's 29, but I might be wrong. So that's 9.9 for 29 spots.

For baseball there is a max of 11.7 scholarships for 35 man roster. Of the 35, only 27 can receive athletic money, and the minimum they must receive is 25% of a scholarship. That means by rule at least 8 guys are getting no athletic money, usually more. And that's for schools that fully fund their baseball scholarships, most don't.

edited May 22
    yes @nhparent9 for D1 men's there are a total of 9.9 scholarships that can be divided for EVERYONE. It's a title 9 thing where football gets 85 scholarships (which are all used at places like alabama) so to balance out the number in many non-revenue sports the mens teams are both fewer in number and fewer in scholarships. I don't think there's actual caps on soccer roster sizes, however there are caps on travel rosters which I think is 22 and can be set by conference. (i believe not 100% sure). UNC women typically have 30 kids on their women's team for soccer and "making the travel roster" is the first goal for those kids.
  • GKUnionGKUnion Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    nhparent9 wrote:
    What the maximum roster size for Men's D1 soccer? I think it's 29, but I might be wrong. So that's 9.9 for 29 spots.

I consulted the 2018 Men’s D1 Soccer rankings and chose UVA @ #10 to drill down on. It’s a great combination of strong academics and big time ACC athletics.

Their team photo has 29 players in it. The 2018 stats sheets shows that 21 of those 29 saw the field.

So, for whatever reason, 8 players juggled D1 athletics, as well as their studies, but never played an actual game minute.

Of the 21 that played there were 3 that essentially played every minute of every game. It’s safe to say that these are scholarship athletes. Did they receive a full ride?

There were another 5 players that started and played in every game, or almost every game, and were on the field for between 88% - 98% of the total game minutes. What percentage might their scholarships be?

The next 4 players, in terms of minutes played, were on the field between 51% - 77% of the total season minutes, BUT...they scored 64% of the team’s goals(5,2,2,5). Scholarships? How much?

The final 9 players started a total of 6 games and played a total of 1,322 combined minutes of the 1600 minute season. Is there any chance 1 or 2 of these kids received a scholarship?
  • stencilsstencils Registered User Posts: 387 Member
    edited May 22
    @anon145 The stats about % of high school athletes continuing on in college can be very misleading for some sports.

Fencing is a great example (as is women's hockey and crew). There are relatively few high schools that have fencing (or women's hockey!) as an official varsity sport, so there are relatively few "high school athletes." This throws the "% of high school athletes continuing in college" stat way off compared to the number of collegiate athletes on teams in the sport. For example, the vast majority of HS-aged participants in fencing complete out of private clubs, because there is no varsity team at their high school. Most of the collegiate athletes in these predominantly club-based sports (unlike football, basketball, volleyball, etc), never competed on a high school team for their sport, so they aren't included in the fraction.
  • leennpleennp Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    edited May 22
    I only have experience with D1 college swim recruiting, with daughter receiving a small athletic scholarship and large merit scholarship, the drawback to some athletes for the non headcount sports is that if they pick a school they can't afford without the partial athletic scholarship, they have to transfer if for whatever reason are no longer able to or want to compete. She swam for 2 years and made decision to stop in order to free up time for academic pursuits, she was able to stay at the school she loved because of the merit scholarship and would have been devastated to have to leave school because she no longer wanted the life of a D1 athlete. Fast forward to my son who is also a swimmer wanting to swim in college and the realities of underfunded mens college athletics for the non revenue sports, especially at schools without a profitable athletic department, which is reality is most schools. I don't think most parents are even away how many men's teams are not fully funded for the non-revenue, non head count mens sports.
    you are correct @stencils but fencing still is tops continuing in college for boys and girls. but yeah in total it drops to 38% compared to say 8-9% for soccer
    https://academyoffencingmasters.com/blog/fencing-and-the-college-advantage/
    Yes, there are a limited number of scholarships per team, but if you meet the requirements of the NCAA, you can combine merit with athletic money, and other grants from the school, and federal need based aid.

Very few students receive a full ride just from athletic funds, but you can 'build your own' by combining merit, athletic and federal aid. You can also stack outside scholarships as long as they weren't given for athletic ability (or you can stack those if the coach has room on the team budget). I think a big mistake is looking for one source to pay for the entire bill.

My daughter had a nice merit scholarship and a nice athletic grant. She needed them both. All the parents hoping for athletic scholarships might have to compromise a little with the ranking of the team or the ranking of the academics, but those just looking for merit aid have to do that too.
    at least the top NESCACs won't let you keep outside scholarships if you get FA from the school. They say (or at least the one I know) says scholarships reduce financial aid from the school 1:1.
  • recruitparentrecruitparent Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    "at least the top NESCACs won't let you keep outside scholarships if you get FA from the school. They say (or at least the one I know) says scholarships reduce financial aid from the school 1:1."

I believe that is true at many or most schools and is certainly true at all the Ivies or at least the top Ivies (I know from 1st hand experience). Essentially the school's calculated expected family contribution $ remains the same and the schools FA/need based scholarship is reduced 1:1 with outside scholarships.
    NESCACs are division 3. They don't have athletic scholarships so of course you can't stack 'with an athletic scholarship.' Many of the NESCACs have only need based aid, so if you have a merit scholarship, your need is reduced.

For D1 and D2 athletic scholarships, need is not a factor (unless the coach makes it one).