Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
2»

Replies to: Pre Reads

• gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    With the NESCACs there are (usually, depending on need and the sport) two slots, but more tips. You may find a given sport has a very large recruiting class, even for a non-helmet sport. This is because coach support can and usually does extend beyond the two slots. The difference between tips and slots is that a tip is at around the same stats (GPA and test scores) as other admitted non-athletes, while a slot is on the low side (hence the terms A band, B band and C band).

I agree that the pre read is not definitive. Realize that at the end of the recruiting process, things are going to shift quite a bit. A coach's top recruit may go elsewhere. A D1 recruit may drop into a coach's lap. Until you get the fat envelope, it is a roller coaster ride. There are coaches who write and call every week, and then suddenly nothing. There are coaches who never write or call and then in October invite a student out for an OV.

It is pretty important (if logistically possible) for a parent to attend the coach meeting during the OV. If your kid isn't able to ask, the parent must drill down and ask whether the kid will be admitted. Under NESCAC rules, the coach's say isn't definitive, but it is probably as good as your are going to get. You will want to know how many athletes the coach is recruiting, where your kid is ranked on the list of recruits, what band admissions thinks your kid falls into, how many kids in a similar situation have gotten in and how many have been turned away. Finally, you will want the coach to commit to support your kid with admissions, which he or she may do but only in early admission rounds. The information will not be perfect, but it is a lot better than the crap shoot of regular admission.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,481 Forum Champion
    It is really important to realize that this is all a process, and that recruits are being evaluated right up until a committable offer is made. Recruits should be doing the same thing, and talking to some number of schools right up until making a decision where to attend. You need to keep reminding yourself (and your son) that the process isn't over until it is over, and that things can and some times do change during every phase of the process.

As far as whether overnight visits/official visits are evaluative, I really think that varies by the school and the program. I both attended and hosted a few official visits during my own playing days. The visits I attended were all done before I committed to a school, and I can't remember if I had offers at all the schools before I went on the visit. I know that the coaches asked me about the kids I hosted when I was playing. I seriously doubt that anything I had to say was definitive about a particular recruit, but I am sure my comments went in to the hopper as it were. On the other hand, my son went on one official visit that occurred six months after he committed and a month after he received his likely letter. It really seems to vary. It does appear from reading this board that "passing" the overnight seems to be more of a thing in women's sports, but that is a pretty gross generalization made on reading things here, mostly.
  • anon145anon145 Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    edited May 22
    @arbirary99 I think the overnight depends vary much on the specific sport and specific coach. At this point if this is a school of high interest the kid can straight up express that interest and ask what's next to the coach. In my kids experience the coach really encouraged the recruits to come to an overnight camp summer before senior year for NESCAC school, and the later formal ON was just before ED applications were due and was told it was for commits only. (in fact only one girl who attended formal ON was not committed and the ON was not a screening process since these kids had been ON at school prior). You obviously probably want to keep the top 2 or 3 schools in contention until a coach tells you the odds of your kid getting in and they are near 100. I think discussing how many kids the coach is recruiting and where your kid ranks is more confusing since kids who are higher academically than the average matriculant don't even count against the coach's tips/slots for NESCAC (UAA) even though they still weigh in for admissions. The only school I'm aware of where knowing kid ranking is important is MIT, since coaches will literally give a number to each kid for admissions. You can imagine that if the MIT coach ranks kids 1-12 and you know admissions is likely only letting 6 in, if you are not ranked in the top half odds are slim to none. Conversely, at NESCACs most of the affluent sports are whiter than the general school population so minority athletes also may not count against tips/slots either...
  • arbitrary99arbitrary99 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    All really helpful information. It sounds like he should solicit interest from a few other colleges in case something happens to have a plan B. Thank you again.
  • gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    @mamom, We experienced one of those white boards as well, and I think it was intended to help the recruiting process. The coach actually referred to one of the recruits who had decided to go Ivy, suggesting the position was open for my kid.

@anon145, the reason that I suggest asking where your kid is on the list is that it is important at the margins. Yes, there may not be a formal ranking, but I did have NESCAC coaches as much as tell us where we were on a list. I think you need to know if your kid is number 6 on a list of 5, as @mamom suggests. It is very easy to just hear the good things the coach is saying. It is harder to critically analyze everything the coach says to make sure there are no misunderstandings (and a lot of people misunderstand what a coach says).
  • anon145anon145 Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    edited May 25
    @gointhruaphase we never got into lists, we never saw a whiteboard but the coach said in his/her >10 years in the job a kid with my DD's grades and scores and coaches level of support has never not gotten in.(and she did) Also, I know for NESCACs that sports teams for everything but men's basketball and football are much,much whiter than schools like williams/amherst regular students, and minority kids who are reasonably qualified don't even count against coaches tips/slots. Iikewise student's above school average also don't generally count even though they still need coach's support. So if a kids is #5 or 6 on the list but is a minority or top student he/she may be more likely to get in then #3 who is a subpar student.
    So fine to know a number, but odds of getting in are ultimately the most important info to get from coach!