right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chances In case I get rescinded?

asiancommunityrep31asiancommunityrep31 0 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
Hi, I am a student athlete who has committed to a school already. However, I fear I may be rescinded due to an academic honesty violation(Only the school I have already committed to will be notified by my school). In that case, what are my chances at the Ivy leagues/Stanford during the regular application process?

Here's my stats:
Recruited tennis player(nationally ranked)
LaunchX co-founder at school
NHS member
Math Team - AMC 10 score: 90
UW GPA: 3.62(lowered significantly due to academic honesty violation)
W GPA: 3.96
SAT score: 1540
SAT Math: 600, SAT Physics: 650

AP Classes: APLAC, APUSH, AP Calc AB, AP Physics, AP Music Theory, AP Computer Science Principles, AP Physics E/M
All of them were 4's except for a 3 in AP Calc and a 5 in AP Music Theory

10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances In case I get rescinded?

• daddycaddydaddycaddy 24 replies4 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    extremely low
    · Reply · Share
  • CTTCCTTC 2150 replies128 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    (Only the school I have already committed to will be notified by my school)
    Why wouldn't all the schools be notified? Your GC is going to hide it from schools? That doesn't seem right.
    What exactly did you do?
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2011 replies28 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 12
    You need to call the coach you committed to ASAP to see what the consequences of your academic violation will be....do not wait for them to find out from someone else. You need to make this call, not your parents, not your GC, and it does need to be a call, not an email.
    Only the school I have already committed to will be notified by my school

Perhaps this is how your school will handle the issue, but if a college asks your GC if you have a disciplinary history, they will be obliged to answer honestly. Also, the common app asks a disciplinary history question, as do many college specific applications, which you will also have to answer honestly. Some schools suppress the common app disciplinary history question......it takes a lot of research to find out schools' policies on this issue....talk to your GC and formulate a strategy.

edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
  • 4gsmom4gsmom 693 replies24 postsRegistered User Member
    I'm just going to answer your question - what are your chances with your stats? A 3.96 and a 1540? Probably not good. There are just too many kids with higher. I would start compiling a solid list of matches and likelies.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2011 replies28 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 12
    ^^^Unweighted GPA is a 3.56, so the Ivies/Stanford are out UNLESS OP is recruited for tennis. Only way to find out if they still have chance at that is by talking with each coach.....but OP doesn't seemingly yet know what will happen at the school they are currently committed to...which should be the first step
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
  • smartPhoquesmartPhoque 6 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    maybe try bribing your way in?
    · Reply · Share
  • asiancommunityrep31asiancommunityrep31 0 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
    I was caught cheating on in a class. It's a really stupid situation, and I only cheated on a few assignments, but the teacher made a really big deal out of it. As the academic dishonesty is minor according to district policy, the school is only going to notify the college to which I have committed.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22866 replies290 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I agree with others that you should speak with the coach. My kid's friend was going to be recruited by Stanford for swimming. He was caught cheating. Her private school did not view cheating as a minor infraction and he was asked to transfer out of school. He ended up swimming for a school down in Texas.
    If you have to apply to other colleges, would your school notify those schools? It's not too clear to me why they would only notify this school you are committed to.
    · Reply · Share
  • tenniswimvballtenniswimvball 95 replies4 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    And being nationally ranked in tennis won't get you into the Ivy's or Stanford unless your rank is top 25 (Stanford) to top 75 (Ivy's). The competition is just too tough, especially with your subject test scores. Unfortunately, tennis is a smart kid's sport.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6482 replies51 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I was caught cheating on in a class. It's a really stupid situation, and I only cheated on a few assignments, but the teacher made a really big deal out of it.
    Blaming the teacher for making “a big deal” even though you only did cheated a “few” times (before you got caught? Got the marks you needed to get what you wanted?) doesn’t say “I learned my lesson” very clearly....
    · Reply · Share