right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

How much do sports matter

asksimon22asksimon22 7 replies2 threads New Member
Hi I'm a high school sophomore now and I am considering if I should play a spring sport.

I have made varsity swimming team during the winter season and I also have really good grades (3.9 GPA in honor classes) and good extracurriculars. I am just thinking about if I should play a spring sport or spend more time to work on other extracurriculars and grades.

I have tried Track and made varsity last year but I did not really like it. I am thinking about if I should play a spring sport this year since I only have swimming now. But my question is that how much does this even matter because I definitely can improve my other extracurriculars and my grades a lot if I do not play spring sport.
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How much do sports matter

• politepersonpoliteperson 498 replies4 threads Member
    I agree. Do it if you want to, not for college applications.
    · Reply · Share
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad 549 replies2 threads Member
    If you're just starting at the age of 15 chances are you won't be very good so you better enjoy it for its own sake. My DD plays ultimate frisbee in the spring as her fun blowoff EC. Her "real" sport is in the fall, so this one is super low-key and just gets her out of the house and running around after a long winter. Find something that suits your personality, activity level and don't worry about how everything looks. If your resume is solid at the top then a little variety at the bottom that shows who you are is more useful than a series of shallow feints towards Important Things.
    · Reply · Share
  • asksimon22asksimon22 7 replies2 threads New Member
    Thanks so much!
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 81216 replies729 threads Senior Member
    Sports may be a more valuable EC at some small LACs due to the high percentage of students in sports -- it helps if the non recruited athletes include many who may be interested in walking on.
    · Reply · Share
  • zzbaronzzbaron 1 replies0 threads New Member
    If you have a rowing club in your area I highly recommend giving it a try. Not only will it keep your fitness level up you might find out you actually enjoy it. In my experience endurance athletes like swimmers have been pretty successful when it comes to the erg. Being a sophomore is not to late to start rowing and get recruited by a college if you have the passion for it and are somewhat successful at it. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share