right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Want to know how a college REALLY decides who gets in? Jeff Selingo author of "Who Gets In and Why: A Year Inside College Admissions" spills the tea in our forums and will be answering your questions. Get yours answered now!
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Athlete Recruit "Shortlist"

Rosemary18Rosemary18 2 replies1 threads New Member
S21 din't pass the pre-read from a D3 school. Coach said if he gets all As for the first semester, he will still support him. The coach asked if he wanted to get on his shortlist. What does it mean?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Athlete Recruit "Shortlist"

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 25251 replies20 threads Senior Member
    IMO, it means nothing. It's better than being on the 'long' (shot?) list, but the short list is still going to have a lot of people who don't make it. It's sort of like being on the wait list to get into a school- better to be on it than not if you want to go to that school, but still not a good chance.

Can your son get all A's? Are there any other schools he likes just as much?
    · Reply · Share
  • Rosemary18Rosemary18 2 replies1 threads New Member
    He got support from another school, but this is his first choice. Not sure if will get all As, but he is motivated to try.
    · Reply · Share
  • gointhruaphasegointhruaphase 615 replies3 threads Member
    Nothing like motivation to get all As -- whatever works is good.

You should try to figure out exactly what this means from the coach. However, in my book, it means that the coach has a limited number of students he can support - let's say it is 5. If you are on the short list, it means that your son is no. 6 on a list of 5.

The variable here is what happens if your son gets all As in the fall. My guess is that your son will remain no. 6, as opposed to the coach supporting him in the top 5. The reason being the coach needs 5 recruits. If he leaves a spot in the top 5 open for your son if he gets all As, there is a decent chance that the coach will only get 4 recruits and that the coach will be faced with a last minute shuffle to convince someone else on the short list to apply ED. You may want to discuss with the coach "soft" support, but usually soft support means little to no support.

If it were me, I would continue the conversation with the coach and certainly your son should try to get all As. I would, however, adjust objectives to be realistic, as admissions has not given him the green light on his application.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11862 replies161 threads Senior Member
    Time to discover attractive aspects of the school that is giving support to your son.
    · Reply · Share
  • Rosemary18Rosemary18 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks for all your advice.
    · Reply · Share