right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Coach support @ UPenn - likely letters for specific schools/programs? Wharton vs CAS vs Engineering

daddycaddydaddycaddy 31 replies8 threads Junior Member
Does anyone know if coaches at UPenn can offer likely letters for specific schools/programs? E.g. Wharton (or M&T) or Engineering instead of the College of Arts and Sciences?

Is it dependent on strength of the recruit and/or importance of sport?

Are there other Universities which distinguish between undergraduate school/curriculum and specific support by the coach?
19 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Coach support @ UPenn - likely letters for specific schools/programs? Wharton vs CAS vs Engineering

• playsportsplaysports 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi, I believe so. Our S21 was asked by the coach what school he plans to apply to as part of the preread process. Before the preread, the coach was also very straightforward as to the grades and test scores that would be needed for the two schools being considered. Sorry, no clue about other sports at UPenn or universities.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 25280 replies20 threads Senior Member
    The coaches don't offer or issue the likely letters, the admissions office does.

I did read on here last year that a coach at another school wouldn't offer support for some majors. I was a little shocked by that.
    · Reply · Share
  • politepersonpoliteperson 686 replies4 threads Member
    Schools yes. Specific and selective programs like M&T I’d be surprised but I have no specific knowledge of that. Coaches will know though.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5884 replies96 threads Senior Member
    edited August 11
    The coaches don't offer or issue the likely letters, the admissions office does.

This is so important to understand. Student athletes are asking the coach for a spot on the team and full support through the admissions process....not for a likely letter.

Some accepted athletic recruits never even receive a likely letter due to timing issues.

I don't have specific knowledge at UPenn in the sport I assume you are talking about, but agree with politeperson that the coach will know if it's possible and what it takes for acceptance into certain schools. Then, admissions will be the final arbiters of the acceptance and school decision.

Good luck.
    edited August 11
    · Reply · Share
  • daddycaddydaddycaddy 31 replies8 threads Junior Member
    Thanks for all the responses.

I should have been more clear in my question - I do realize that the admissions office issues the LL, although my understanding is if the pre-read comes back positive and the coach is willing to provide full support that there are very few instances when a LL (and therefore admission) is not given by the admissions committee (aforementioned timing issues aside). So after the pre-read it really ultimately is up to the coach to select who they support (and hence, while semantically incorrect, it's the coach's decision who ultimately gets the LL).
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 41663 replies8000 threads Super Moderator
    daddycaddy wrote: »
    So after the pre-read it really ultimately is up to the coach to select who they support (and hence, while semantically incorrect, it's the coach's decision who ultimately gets the LL).

Again, semantics. But if the preread is not positive, the applicant is DoA and no amount of pleading by the coach will result in a LL. So continue to split hairs on who wields the power. 😄
    · Reply · Share
  • NEsprinklesNEsprinkles 17 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I think the question here really is how much pull the coach has for certain colleges or programs within a particular university. I have wondered the also - like when submitting for a preread do you have a shot at Wharton, Dyson, an Engineering College or should you expect support for Arts and Sciences only for example - understood this is up to admissions generally but I've always been curious how much pull the coach has for the most selective colleges within a particular university/how much weight admissions gives to coaches in admissions to highly selective programs.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 12
    Ive always been curious how much pull the coach has for the most selective colleges within a particular university/how much weight admissions gives to coaches in admissions to highly selective programs.

It may vary by university. For Penn, my understanding is the LL can be issued for any of Penn's 4 colleges. Whether a couch will support an engineering candidate is another story and likely depend on the coach/sport. But if the question is can the coach get a LL for Huntsman? Then, no.
    edited August 12
    · Reply · Share
  • HMom16HMom16 872 replies22 threads Member
    If the recruit is a bit lower on the coach's list and is offered a preferred walk-on spot, how does the level of support differ from an admissions standpoint? In other words, does it impact ED admissions likelihood in any meaningful way?

Asking specifically about UPenn...
    · Reply · Share
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 1333 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Wouldn't it go from "sure thing" to "strong EC" in admissions? I have no knowledge of Penn though.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5884 replies96 threads Senior Member
    HMom16 wrote: »
    If the recruit is a bit lower on the coach's list and is offered a preferred walk-on spot, how does the level of support differ from an admissions standpoint? In other words, does it impact ED admissions likelihood in any meaningful way?

Probably best to start your own thread...but I would ask the coach specifically what proportion of PWO athletes have historically been accepted. Did the athlete have a positive pre-read?
    · Reply · Share
  • recruitparentrecruitparent 105 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @HMom16 I would think that the LL process at UPenn is essentially the same and follows the same rules as other Ivys.
    A PWO sounds like football, or perhaps hockey or basketball so others may have more insight for those sports.
    My understanding is that assuming a positive pre-read, the question should be is the student being offered coaches support and a LL. If they are not being offered a LL, then I would think that a "PWO " would have the same odds in admissions as any other student applying and the same as other potential recruits/athletes applying without receiving a LL.
    · Reply · Share
  • KaiserSKaiserS 15 replies0 threads New Member

HMom16 - I do not know how it works at Penn, but . . . . you might be interested in looking at this from Penn's Student Records System: https://provider.www.upenn.edu/computing/da/dw/student/srsadmission.e.html

At that website, you will find what is described as the "SRS UNDERGRAD ADMISSIONS Table - Data Element Index." Since your question is about ED admissions likelihood for a "preferred walk-on" athlete, look in the Table at Athletic_Rating, which says: "The student's athletic rating established by intercollegiate athletics and undergraduate admissions. Non-athletes will have a rating of NULL. A rating greater than '2' indicates that the students is considered a recruited athlete. Values: NULL; 1-6."

My best guess at how much does being a preferred walk-on mean during ED, is "1 or 2, and 2 is twice as much as 1." And, if a "preferred walk-on" gets a 3, because he/she is considered just barely a recruit, that is three times more than one.

My wild speculation, with no evidence to back it up, is that Athletic_Rating points might get funneled into consideration with the 1-9 Academic_Rating and the 1-9 Non-Academic_Rating. Since 18 is a perfect combined Academic + Non-Academic Rating, picking up 2 or 3 extra points would be very valuable (if that is how it works, which I am only guessing).
    · Reply · Share
  • HMom16HMom16 872 replies22 threads Member
    @KaiserS Thanks - that's a very interesting link. I wonder who assigns the score - the coach or an AO.
    · Reply · Share
    @KaiserS Thanks - that's a very interesting link. I wonder who assigns the score - the coach or an AO.

AO
    · Reply · Share
  • politepersonpoliteperson 686 replies4 threads Member
    edited August 13

I would ask the coach directly about this. There’s disagreement here on CC about soft support at Ivies, whether it exists and how it would work if so. The coach should be able to explain the mechanics and his or her history of getting recruits admitted through that channel.

ETA: I’m in the camp that believes Ivy soft support, while it might help occasionally, is rarely reliable or predictable enough to pass up other opportunities. But I would listen carefully to what the coach says and make a decision based on that.
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share
  • NovaMom93NovaMom93 140 replies10 threads Junior Member
    @daddycaddy to answer the original question...yes, the recruit is "approved" for a specific school at Penn. You can DM me for more specifics based on current experience - this is for wrestling, however, and not golf.

As for how admissions views preferred walk-ons at Penn...I have no idea.
    · Reply · Share
  • KaiserSKaiserS 15 replies0 threads New Member
    skieurope wrote: »

AO

The form says -- "The student's athletic rating established by intercollegiate athletics and undergraduate admissions. Non-athletes will have a rating of NULL. A rating greater than '2' indicates that the students is considered a recruited athlete. Values: NULL; 1-6."

The three categories are: (a) non-athlete (0); (b) non-recruited athlete (1-2); and, (c) recruited athlete (3-6). While the AO must ultimately assign a value, they have no basis for doing so without input from the coach. In order to get any athletic rating at all, the coach must communicate with admissions. Put another way, I don't believe an applicant can get a 1 or 2 athletic rating by telling Penn admissions that he/she is talented enough to be recruited at some other ivy league programs, but that Penn's coaches have no interest because they are stacked with amazing talent.

Perhaps you should ask the coach what athletic rating (0-6) he expects admissions is going to assign (and let us all know)!

· Reply · Share