Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transfer from Div I FBS to Ivies

mia305mia305 Registered User Posts: 350 Member
edited March 2009 in Athletic Recruits
Does anyone have any experience or information that might be relevant to a redshirt freshman at an NCAA Football Bowl subdivision school who wants to transfer to any Ivy?
Post edited by mia305 on

Replies to: Transfer from Div I FBS to Ivies

• PBolandPBoland Registered User Posts: 406 Member
    what school are you at?
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    It is my belief that if you are granted release, you are considered a freshman as far as playing sports goes.
  • keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    No...if you redshirted as a freshman, then you still have four years to play, Ivy or not.
    But we don't know why he was redshirted...it is allowed in the Ivies for injury, right? And doesn't that rule only apply while you are at the Ivy? Does it matter if the redshirt was at another school? He wouldn't have to sit if the other school granted the release I think.
    Interesting....my daughter is considering a transfer from DI to DI and according the the NCAA, she does not need to sit out unless her current school won't release her. We know another girl in her sport who just tranferred from UCLA to UF and also was not required to sit out as UCLA signed her release.

Is the medical rule new? A classmate of my son's played basketball for Brown and redshirted a year due to injury. This news from him sharing it with my son and it was also written on the website.

What if your credit don't qualify you to tranfer into the next year above? i.e....you are in a major not offered at the Ivy, for example or they just don't take the particular credits you have.

Also, I am sure that in revenue sports (is ice hockey a revenue sport at the Ivies?) there is some wiggle room. There always seems to be where athletics are concerned (knowing firsthand the stats of several Ivy athletes).
  • scualumscualum Registered User Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    You should probably read the transfer guide

NCAA Publication Product Detail View

Lots of variations on the rules regarding transferring and sitting out a year - it really depends upon the sport.
This discussion has been closed.