Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

D# recruiting: what does this mean?

Replies to: D# recruiting: what does this mean?

• mwgdcmwgdc Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Sounds very encouraging to me. I would think the coach is highly confident about acceptance. Otherwise, he/she wouldn't be making such continued contact, nevermind having a player also contact.
    Good luck.
  • JessephenJessephen Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    OK now I am getting nervous. D has not heard from said coach in 3 weeks! She has not tried to contact him either but until March 3 he had been contacting her about once a week or every two weeks. Does he know she did not get accepted and has just let her drop or is it just that he has been busy and then had spring break! UGH! I hate being so worried! She had really gotten to the point where this school would be her top choice if she got in provided the financial package was OK.
  • bessiebessie Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    This is where a parent can feel free to step in and call the coach. It is not rude or intrusive for a parent to be guiding their child's college admissions process. Ask the coach directly what is going on and if he still has a spot on his roster for her if she gets accepted. He may have gotten a firm commitment from another athlete and moved on so he could lock up his recruiting class. Kids have a hard time being so direct with a potential future coach. I always told my son I would be happy to ask the hard questions for him anytime he wanted me to.
  • Mini VanMini Van Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    Don't know what sport, but check team and college website. Is it the college's spring break? Has the team been traveling anywhere for training, tournaments etc. and coach may not have been on campus recently?
    Good thinking minivan - she heard from coach today and that is exactly what was going on. Spring break and coach decided to take break from paperwork and recruiting. E-mail today was very positive!
  • bessiebessie Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    Is it a "Dead Period" for your daughter's sport or do they not have that in Division 3? In Division 1, the NCAA mandates dead periods where coaches are not allowed to contact athletes. There is a calendar for each sport on the NCAA.org site.
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 13,398 Senior Member
    OK, so what is considered a competitive SAT score for a student who'd like to play D-III football but is not a star athlete? He is more concerned with excellent academics than winning records.
  • jdjaguarjdjaguar Registered User Posts: 466 Member
    S has a 29 ACT and was actively recruited and "tipped" by Washington U, Carnegie-Mellon, Lehigh, and a few others.
    This is the OP. D got big envelope today in the mail from Amherst the school she was in contact with the coach from!!!!! Guess all his positive contact meant a lot!
  • mwgdcmwgdc Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Congratulations!!!! Welcome to the NESCAC.
  • hockeymomofthreehockeymomofthree Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    Congrats...My D got into MHC.
    I wonder if they scrimmage?
    What a relief, huh?
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,303 Super Moderator
    Congratulations, Jessephen! One of my son's HS coaches told him that Amherst is interested in him, so we need to e-mail them this weekend. It sounds like a great school!
  • keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    What school is MHC?
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,525 Senior Member
    Mount Holyoke College?
  • FauxNomFauxNom Registered User Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Congratulations jessephen's D! So glad it worked out for her!
This discussion has been closed.