right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Athletic Scholarship V. Financial Aid

keylymekeylyme 2778 replies47 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
edited February 2009 in Athletic Recruits
Last evening we attended a college recruiting forum hosted by my son's soccer club. I learned something new (and I thought I knew pretty much everything about the process) that was quite unsettling to me. I'm not one who is comfortable asking questions in public forums, so I am bringing my question here...

One of the DI presenters noted that if an athlete was offered a 30% athletic scholarship, that the family must then be prepared to pick up the other 70% of costs because if any need-based money is received, it counts against his (the coach's)scholarship cap. Merit money is allowed, however.

Comments, explanations? All are appreciated. We are not a family of means and have no savings. We have a pretty low EFC. My son is eyeing some pricey, private DI's. It had not been a concern, because I knew these schools were very well endowed. Two of the schools on his list do meet all of a family's demonstrated need with grant money. So...is it better to forego scholarship offers (if any are forthcoming) or try to piece something together with merit and scholarships?

HELP!!!!
edited February 2009
5 replies
Post edited by keylyme on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Athletic Scholarship V. Financial Aid

  • ModadunnModadunn 6178 replies85 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    Don't understand that in the least and although I am sure others on here can answer your question to some degree, you really shouldn't feel at all nervous about calling the school's financial aid office and asking them what the policy is directly. It has always been my understanding that scholarship athletic or otherwise was a PIECE of a financial aid package, not in place of.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mini VanMini Van 163 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    I thought it was the opposite. I thought merit money counted against the coach's total scholarship cap and not need based aid. Would be interested to learn more about this too!
    · Reply · Share
  • njcentconfnjcentconf 137 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    You really need to talk to the coach, AD, and financial aid folks at the key schools you are considering. Remember that technically, athletic scholarships are given for a single year, and are not guaranteed to be renewable. Some schools, however, tend to continue the athletic scholarship despite the student's contribution to the team. You really have to check out the specific schools being considered. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • karp4170karp4170 535 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 567 Member
    Academic merit aid does not count towards a team's cap as long as it is not based on athletic ability. See the NCAA website for details.
    · Reply · Share
  • NorthMinnesotaNorthMinnesota 6598 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,668 Senior Member
    In our case merit aid does not come out of the coaches budget/cap. Totally different package at this DI school.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity