Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is my SAT good enough?

2»

Replies to: Is my SAT good enough?

• fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,525 Senior Member
    The GFG- there is no firm cut off for GPA. If your daughter has state/regional/national ranking for her sport, allowances will be made according to her expertise.

If she is a solid, district-level athlete, she would probably need a 3.8+ like the rest of the applicants.
  • Mini VanMini Van Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    The GFG, I think you also need to know the rank. The Academic Index formula used by ivys includes not only GPA and SAT, but also class rank. A high rank can help make up for lower GPA if it is a competitive high school. I agree the sport and coach's opinion of her athletic ability would matter too.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,219 Senior Member
    Our school doesn't report class rank, but supposedly it's available to kids who need it for service academy applications and the like. From what I read in a book about Ivy recruiting, it's better not to include your rank if you're in a big public high school and you're not at the tippy top because it will lower the AI. Anyway, as for ranking in the sport, I wonder how high is high enough? Top 50 in the country in the sport/position/event? Not sure it matters if the coach is interested, but I suppose how much he supports the application will depend partly on the ranking and his need for that position or event.
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,525 Senior Member
    Precisely, GFG, being recruited is all about the coach's need to fill a position, or event. That is why it is so important to research many schools to find one that needs your athlete's times, position, size, expertise, for Fall 2010.
This discussion has been closed.