Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Academic Standards for DI Athletes?

2»

Replies to: Academic Standards for DI Athletes?

• ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,020 Senior Member
    Would suggest getting as much standardized testing SAT and/or ACT out of the way this spring if your son does cross country in the fall as meets often conflict with Saturday tests.

As a fellow Maine parent whose kid ran track, also be aware that a) ALL Maine juniors are required to take the SAT in May, effectively making it impossible to take SATIIs then, and b) the state outdoor track meet is ALWAYS scheduled on the same Saturday as the June SAT testing date, making it effectively impossible to take SAT IIs then, too.

BUT....if your student signs up for the SAT IIs in June, he should be able to reschedule to take the tests during the following week through his school. The actual testing may take place at a nearby HS with which your HS cooperates. Make sure that he is aware of this and doesn't miss the deadline for rescheduling, which is well in advance! This is a special arrangement that, to my knowledge, is available only to kids who have this kind of school-related scheduling conflict.

My S was signed up to take an SATII sophomore year, and was invited to go to the state meet after he tried a new event and suddenly became the #2 guy on the relay team at that distance. Because this was after the rescheduling deadline, he ended up taking the test the following December. We had to forfeit the fee, and he had to re-study. Junior year we were up on the situation in advance, and he took the rescheduled tests a few days later. The GC office said that hardly any of the eligible kids took advantage of it, so having a parent stay on top of the situation may be key. :)
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,251 Super Moderator
    ^^ I'll keep you posted! We're visiting the Texas coach in a couple of weeks. He said they've had a lot of luck with kids from the northeast because they're typically underdeveloped in high school and then take off in college. The coach knows my son's times.
  • bessiebessie Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    Actually, once the coach sees your son compete and has the transcripts and test scores, you will know which way he is leaning. Standards are lowered in direct proportion to how athletically talented an applicant is, especially in revenue sports. Even big schools don't let everyone in, especially if they are academically rigorous. It hurts the coach and the team if kids cannot graduate. and/or flunk out or transfer. Good luck to your son. Enjoy this exciting time.
  • sorghumsorghum Registered User Posts: 3,599 Senior Member
    So, its like this. My pet rabbit Annie got a 400 (/1600) on her SAT and she's really good at high jump. If she just gets her GPA up she'll be offered a scholarship?
  • keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    No....those super-low numbers are NCAA standards (the schools set their own standards which are most often higher than that).
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,020 Senior Member
    The best runner in Maine is average in Texas. Your son has little chance for a track scholly at Texas im afraid.

Within the last 10 years the best distance runner at our HS in Maine was ranked in the top 10 nationally. The best thrower at our HS was ranked in the top 10 nationally and competed successfully in international Olympic development events. That's just one high school.

So don't be too sure.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,251 Super Moderator
    Consolation is right! There are some good kids coming out of Maine.
    Hmmm....I didn't even think of that. We had an track and field olympian from NH when the games were in Greece. My friend's son was also a top Maine runner a and got a full DI scholarship in 2007.
  • MomasitaMomasita Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    Do top scholar/athletes without financial need get any merit or athletic scholarships from IVY's? Or are you just plain out of luck without need?
  • ShesOnHerWayShesOnHerWay Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    Ivy's (as far as I know) do not give either athletic or merit scholarships. All aid is need based. If you don't need, then they don't give.
  • jdjaguarjdjaguar Registered User Posts: 466 Member
    ^^

but top scholar athletes GET IN, which can be debated, is a scholarship in AND OF ITSELF.

GOOD LUCK!
    Ivies do not give merit-based aid; just need-based. You can apply for outside merit scholarships.
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,525 Senior Member
    Keylyme is right- all Ivy aid is need-based. Merit scholarships can come from private organizations, Robert C. Byrd state managed scholarships, etc. The Ivies will offer you the opportunity to fill out information which may match up with a private funding program.
  • MomasitaMomasita Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    Can you say which Ivies do that? does Yale? do other top schools like Duke?
This discussion has been closed.