right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Committing to D3 school

2»

Replies to: Committing to D3 school

• orangemom12orangemom12 218 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    I'm doing the DIII thing with S now. D was DI and that was vastly different!

S has 4 DIIIs in his sights and visits for the next month. I have accepted the fact that its going to cost me a kidney (kidding), but he's a good kids and his siblings aren't breaking the bank, so the choice is his.

My concern is that he fell in love with one school, but another is offering looking at him to start (baseball) as a freshman. He's leaning there. We both like the coach and no qualms with the school..good fit. Just wonder if he should 'push' the school he LOVED by really hitting the coaches.

Guess I'm venting. Sorry.
    · Reply · Share
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth 976 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 988 Member
    My two cents.....The D3 coaches will have their hands tied with a FA discussion. I think you (parent) should "push" (negotiate) the FA Office for school your son LOVES then decide which school is best for son & family. Most FA offices have some flexbility if your son is someone they see as adding to their community.

In addition, I would be very cautious about any coach or program who has told your son he will start as a freshmen. Typically freshmen earn their spots just like everybody else, and it is difficult. Perhaps your son was told "he would have the opportunity" to compete for a starting position" at this program? (Yes, I speak fluent "coach"!)

Best of luck to you and your son.
    · Reply · Share
  • sandiego4866sandiego4866 146 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    "Perhaps your son was told "he would have the opportunity" to compete for a starting position" at this program? (Yes, I speak fluent "coach"!)"

I'm going through that very issue now with my child. The coach during the recruitment process said something similar along with "you're our number one recruit."

Then pre-season rolls around and the song shifted to "maybe you should think about red-shirting".

What we missed during the recruitment process was the team already had so many upperclassman in her position, they aren't going to need my daughter till her junior year.

On a positive note, she loves the school, her team and got tons of FA. So I have lots to be thankful for.

On the other hand, we were had, which isn't such a great feeling.
    · Reply · Share
  • Chargers2012Chargers2012 108 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Fenway..guess which comment was from my mom!! LOL. She wears the color if her school well.

I'm.still getting my essays polished and she's turning gray. Best part, the lady can negotiate w anyone on anything. Even the dogs dare not disobey.

All good. Academics first, a wise man told me. Mom, chill. I promise not to move home after graduation.

Sent from my Desire HD using CC App
    · Reply · Share
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth 976 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 988 Member
    LOL!!! Go get'em Chargers and Chargers Mom! As a future business major you can learn a life lesson by watching your Mom negotiate....so you can do the same for her grandkids some day! Best of luck, and let us know how it goes
    · Reply · Share
  • orangemom12orangemom12 218 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    Very nice! Remember, I know where you live, "Chargers2012" !!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity