Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Top 8 Recruiting Swimming

2»

Replies to: Top 8 Recruiting Swimming

• Runners2Runners2 Registered User Posts: 308 Member
    That's been our experience as well, Riverrunner - several of our S's teammates at an Ivy are premed and among the seniors several have been admitted to med school now. I'm sure they work hard, but they also seem to have time for fun! Maybe it varies by sport, but they're all 3 season athletes so the athletic commitment is pretty high.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    Riverrunner-
    I agree
    Visiting a particular school--I was happily suprised to hear the student-athlletes discussing classwork--whether it be middle east issues or an upcoming french test. The kids seemed pretty balanced...academically, socially and I saw first hand their athletic ability. all good!
  • swimjimswimjim Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    njcentconf has it right: objective measures to determine where the swimmer could best "fit." However, there are a number of other variables to determine where the swimmer could be most content/ proper- which also helps to answer the "could the swimmer major in premed" question: not all swimmers are cut out for pre-med and not all swimmers require the same resources for prospering. Some swimmers do best coming into the program at the top, while others would rather climb up the ladder. Depends on the swimmer. Consider the swimmer's comfort level with the team's and conference's level of competitiveness, whether the swimmer would likely get to final at the conference championships, facilities, how the swimmer fits into both the school's and the team's "culture," general environment of the school and the town in which it is located, etc. Too many swimmers and coaches shop for colleges by "brandname" and "a romantic perception" rather than through a reality- based approach. I coached a swimmer who had always dreamed of swimming for Notre Dame, but who also was very close to her family/ siblings and enjoyed warm weather. Had she followed her dream she would have been miserable. When we logically reviewed and answered all considerations, she ended up choosing a small liberal arts college in the southeast and flourished.
  • fishymomfishymom Registered User Posts: 1,849 Senior Member
    Swimjim, I wish there were more coaches out there that were reality based! Parents and swimmers generally have very little factual information about the recruiting process. They all seem to think they are going to get a full ride to a top swimming school! I do believe that there is a place for nearly every swimmer who wants to continue their sport in college, but the reality is there are very few dollars to go around. If club/high school coaches were more honest with their athletes and parents, maybe more of them would go into the recruiting process with a more reality based approach.
  • 3togo3togo Registered User Posts: 5,233 Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    these might help ... they are swimming recruiting guidelines ...
    Swimming Recruiting Guidelines

I was an all-state miler in track in HS in a relatively small state so that title did not really mean much ... in a state like California or Texas I would have been just another guy ... it's all about times in sports like track and swimming ... see how your times compare and where you fit in.
  • swimjimswimjim Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    fishymom, you're right regarding the concept of a "place for everyone" but it depends on where eswimming in college occurs on the individual's priority list. Anyone could swim for fitness, for example, if swimming were important, but not to the extent that it supercedes other priorities for the individual. However I also worked with a young woman who wanted to swim for a college team- this was her dream, and many other parameters for "the school" were less important. She ended up swimming for her school as well as received an education- and because swimming for a college team were a defining qualifier for her shoice of school, ended up being fulfilled in all the other aspects of attending that particular school. Frankly this young woman wasn't very competitive but swimming for a college team was a driving force in her life. She found a school at which she could fulfill that dream and in so doing had the level of satisfaction to achieve a college diploma, the experience of being on an intercollegiate team as well as all the other tangible and intangible qualities which make up "the college experience."
  • fishymomfishymom Registered User Posts: 1,849 Senior Member
    I agree swimjim. I have known several kids who were not the fastest in the water but had a passion for swimming and really wanted to swim in college. And there are schools out there for those athletes. Not everyone can swim for a top DI program, but if swimming in college is a priority, there are plenty of varsity teams out there to choose from, as well as club programs. As long as swimmers, parents and coaches are realistic about the athlete's prospects, they should be able to find a program that fits.
This discussion has been closed.