Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Ivy league Athlete SAT score?

2»

Replies to: Ivy league Athlete SAT score?

• fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    this is interesting especially when you read the results of all the deferred and denied on the ED/RD results threads
  • keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    Do you think that ivies/top colleges really do adjust the GPA that much when comparing a highly regarded New England Boarding School to a public school? I really hope so!! That is encouraging to read the average GPA of students from your school accepted to Dartmouth. Were these athletes being recruited, or others with "hooks"?

The guidance counselors at my son's school say the approximate "bump" given to the gpa from their school si about 0.5. That seems about correct when you consider the gpa's of students admitted to top lac's and Ivies. My older son gained admission to Villanova and Lehigh with a 3.1 gpa and 1 AP; no hook at all. Many of the Ivy-goers from the school are athletic recruits. The published gpa's of one to Harvard and one to MIT last year were 3.5 and 3.6 (but that was after one PG semester!)
  • mayhewmayhew Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    Thank you Keylyme - my junior D is also at a NEBS and the schools that have begun (very initial I know!!!) the recruiting process with her all seem to average very high GPAs. She is a good student, and has historically been a strong standardized test taker but no 5.0 GPA expected! Strong history from D's school of athletic recruitment to ivies and other leading Div. 1 - these students know that it was athletics that essentially got them in, although they were definitely bright to start with. You are helping my concerns that she doesn't have a chance GPA-wise as hers are not too much higher than your published GPAs of last years recruits at your school.
  • Nadia60Nadia60 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Ivy League recruited athlete process. Got letters, calls to HS coach, requests for film, transcripts from 7 Ivy league schools starting about Feb of junior year. I had posted highlight tape with stats on youtube and emailed link to some coaches and used gobigrecruiting.com I sent coaches a couple email updates about test scores or an athletic achievement. Picked a couple clinics or 1 day of a camp to go to in the summer at schools when I could make it. Really tried to be ready and stand out at these. About 200-300 students came from around the country. Was made an offer at the end of that same day, about 10 or so people might get an offer on the day. Picked Ivy I felt was best fit and sent in items requested - one essay, transcript, SAT scores - for an early read by admissions, and financial information requested for financial aid early read. Gave all info directly to coaches only, but received early read decisions from admissions and fin aid depts before end of summer. Submitted full application ED and got acceptance letter in the mail. Hope that's helpful.
  • mayhewmayhew Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    Nadia60 - Congratulations on your great end result! This is a good description/timeline - thanks.
  • keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    For what it's worth....one of my son's club soccer teammates was just accepted at Dartmouth. 1830 SAT and 3.4 GPA (from mediocre public school). He is a fairly good player (USSDA), but not national team or anything like that.

My son just got his PSAT's back....nothing spectacular....185, but the gc's at his school were both pleased and told him to study for SAT's (he took PSAT's cold) and get the score in the 1800-1900 range and he would be set for Ivy or NESCAC (he wants Ivy as prefers to play DI, and would prefer strong DI in his sport as opposed to an Ivy, but that depends on the quality of the school. Luckily many of the top DI soccer programs are also top schools).
2»
This discussion has been closed.