Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Track vs. Ultimate

statickstatick Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Athletic Recruits
I am a pretty good runner and have potential to run at a D1 school. However, I do not want to run in college, and would rather play ultimate frisbee.

My question is this: will colleges tend to look me over if I do not want to run for their team?

Since I have been running cross country and track a field all four years, I do not have any amazing ec's. I haven't cured cancer or built schools in South America for poor children.
I run.
I'm a good student (3.9 un gpa, 2080 sat), but I get a feeling that schools will overlook what i've been doing for the past four years of my life because I'm not interesting in running for them?
Am I freaking myself out, or is this a legitimate concern?
Post edited by statick on

Replies to: Track vs. Ultimate

• mpiczmpicz Registered User Posts: 2,365 Senior Member
    What are your times...? I don't get where ultimate frisbee comes into this.
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    statick, I'll take a stab.

You have solid academic statistics, and must have put in a lot of hours to run so well. Clearly, you've balanced studies with an EC you care about. It's perfectly fine to state you are no longer interested in continuing with running in college, and I would guess admissions won't particularly care, unless you're presented as a recruited athlete. If you submit an application including your athletic EC's, admission will respect your accomplishments without a thought for whether you will be competing for the school. Only athletes the coach presents to admissions will be seen through the lens of evaluating their potential as a student-athlete.

Many kids are pretty serious about a musical instrument through high school, but have no intention of continuing with it in college, for many reasons. Admissions respects the involvement and commitment, but doesn't expect the kid to bring the tuba, unless he says he will.

Be proud of what you've done, and assume the effort you've put into your sport will be interpreted as a work ethic that will translate into academics and other interests in college.

I know it must be tempting to present yourself as a recruitable athlete, since that might grease the skids in admissions, but I respect you for knowing you want to stop.

Best wishes.
  • pzellmanpzellman Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Statick is now USNA class of 2014.

Statick is/was an good runner (4:21 mile, 1:58 800m, 15:05 5K XC, 53s 400m). Ran USNA JV XC 2010. He left XC/Track after end of seasoning. Now training with Ultimate frisbee team.

BTW he made dean's list Fall 2010, ("C" in PE?-boxing & wrestling. I guess runners are...slow.)
  • sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,046 Senior Member
    Student first, athlete second, doing what he chooses and happy, or so it sounds. Nice.

Thanks for the report, pz.
This discussion has been closed.